Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

possible cure for the 3B 'spark hop' issue?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it's a risk, but I ran my 3B with a GT3071 @ 428bhp without issues on the stock ignition! And Tom ran his to 480hp. When tuned by Mihnea he did mention though that the dizzy was a weak point, and a coil conversion would be an advantage.

This does look like an interesting thread though, didn't see it before, and if I still had a 3B I'd be very interested in trying it out.
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

The weak point in mine was the wiring, after having a new coil, dizzy and leads. Boost could only reliably go up to 1.5bar before getting the ocassional ignition problem and I got 363bhp. Since running new wiring alongside my old loom, boost could reliably go up to 2bar and it flies. Unfortunately, I've damaged 5th gear somehow so that's got to be fixed before I can find out what the new figures are. I'm interested in what's happening here! Maybe I should've taken the plunge with DI when running the new wiring, but all the additional components and another remap on top was too much. I'll test out anything that might improve the 3B ignition.
      David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

@ dave
        Is there a thread with the details of your ignition or did you buy new stock audi parts?
        cheers
        RCN

Comment

Originally posted by Prophet_dlx View Post
          @ dave
          Is there a thread with the details of your ignition or did you buy new stock audi parts?
          cheers
          All OEM.
          David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

I've heard of 3b's over here running over 500+ still on stock dizzy hence why i'm most likely going to stick with it.

Comment

I am running stock dizzy with correct 11mm rotor on stock bottom end. 355 WHP @ 1,7bars. I have MSD digital 6+ ignition box and MSD HVC coil I have done over 30 000km with this setup inkl a lot of trackdays and no problems yet

I can also mention Jonus who dynoed 1065hp @ 2,8bars in the 90q. also with dizzy and MSD digital 6+ and HVC coil. I think he has used this setup for 3 seasons now without problems (obvious with proper bottom end)
              "Ring addicted"
              8,43 BTG with trafic and roadworks:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYg50Bg2lVQ

Comment

Originally posted by magarv View Post
                I can also mention Jonus who dynoed 1065hp @ 2,8bars in the 90q. also with dizzy and MSD digital 6+ and HVC coil. I think he has used this setup for 3 seasons now without problems (obvious with proper bottom end)
                any more info or a link to a thread about his car, sounds very promising

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                  any more info or a link to a thread about his car, sounds very promising
                  He dont have any project threads on that car. (Only one on Norwegian and that one is almost without pictures...)

But here is some videos of the car in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd5_XgHpSQE

http://www.audi-racing.no/clips/Jonus/index5.html (http://www.audi-racing.no/clips/Jonus/Jonus57.wmv)

http://www.audi-racing.no/clips/Jonus/index6.html (http://www.audi-racing.no/clips/Jonus/Jonus79.wmv)

And one inboard from his S2, also with 1000+ engine but car built more for the track instead of the strip like the 90Q: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXP4tYQ_cDM
                  "Ring addicted"
                  8,43 BTG with trafic and roadworks:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYg50Bg2lVQ

Comment

Hi guys! Finally what is the best dissy rotor for a 3B...OEM, 10vt modified, Sport Quattro...and what cap, always OEM?

I know that the best option is converting to multicoil setup... upgrade the ecu's loom...install a vems...etc...but my engine will never pass 350cv and I think that multicoil conversion is an expensive option for me...and not very much necesary for my future low power upgrade

Thanks a lot

Comment

I have lot of problem with distributor on my 3B engine... bent roads was the end , and I decide to do engine swap on AAN ECU...

in the midle time I change the rotor arm with this 11mm - 1 234 332 350 R1 . and it was better than stock , but not enough.. I still go on loom swap ,and change the ECU...
                      now I'm very happy with AAN , and NEWER back on 3B sistem..

and this is the cure if you want to eliminate misfires.. not to expensive , but chipper than new rods if you want to stay under 340 hp.

Comment

Originally posted by rs200 View Post
                        I have lot of problem with distributor on my 3B engine... bent roads was the end , and I decide to do engine swap on AAN ECU...

in the midle time I change the rotor arm with this 11mm - 1 234 332 350 R1 . and it was better than stock , but not enough.. I still go on loom swap ,and change the ECU...
                        now I'm very happy with AAN , and NEWER back on 3B sistem..

and this is the cure if you want to eliminate misfires.. not to expensive , but chipper than new rods if you want to stay under 340 hp.
                        Hi rs200, how many hp has you got??and what boost??

I know that multicoil conversion is the best option... but I think with a good rotor it's enought for me, becouse many people with 450-500hp haven't got any problem with spark hop ...

This ref. is from bosch, and what model correspond??

and the Sport Quattro, what rotor has it got??

Comment

The simple way to cure spark hop on the 3B is to upgrade the coil, I know this sounds strange but bare with me . Spark hop is caused by there not being sufficient charge built up to fire on the required cylinder due to increased resistance in the combustion chamber when on boost, the spark fails to fire and then fires early on the the next cylinder where there is less resistance.
                          If you upgrade the coil you make sure that the there is sufficient energy so that the spark always fires and thus avoiding spark hop.

Comment

Ok! I understand you, and do you know a good coil and easy to install

what coil have you got??and with the oem distributor??

Comment

Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
                              The simple way to cure spark hop on the 3B is to upgrade the coil, I know this sounds strange but bare with me . Spark hop is caused by there not being sufficient charge built up to fire on the required cylinder due to increased resistance in the combustion chamber when on boost, the spark fails to fire and then fires early on the the next cylinder where there is less resistance.
                              If you upgrade the coil you make sure that the there is sufficient energy so that the spark always fires and thus avoiding spark hop.
                              are you sure about that. i get your thinking and can see your theory .but this is how i see it, electric allways takes the easyest route so if the resistance of the air between the spark plug is to great for the spark to jump the gap and there for the spark jumps the gap to the next terminal in the dizzy. so if you put a more powerfull coil which would make a more powerfull spark, it still would be easyer to jump to the next terminal in the dizzy . you have just made it more easyer to do so as a stronger spark will jump a bigger gap
                              never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

Originally posted by denniselbows View Post
                                are you sure about that. i get your thinking and can see your theory .but this is how i see it, electric allways takes the easyest route so if the resistance of the air between the spark plug is to great for the spark to jump the gap and there for the spark jumps the gap to the next terminal in the dizzy. so if you put a more powerfull coil which would make a more powerfull spark, it still would be easyer to jump to the next terminal in the dizzy . you have just made it more easyer to do so as a stronger spark will jump a bigger gap
                                Quite sure , if you read post #36 you will see this supports my claim . He has a much more powerful spark charge and no such problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X