Catch Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch Tank

Some of you already know, but I've been having a custom oil catch tank designed for my S2. Well it's finished

I wanted to get a baffled tank as they are recognised to be the most efficicent at separating oil vapour.

Here it is:

[front view]

The body of the tank is 3" diameter alloy tube. The outlets are ¾". There are four outlets on the tank. 2 for PCV connections to the head and block. One for clean air outlet to the inner wing and one for the drain back to the sump.

The capacity is 0.75 litres (It's the same size as one used for 500bhp RS Cosworths) so should be sufficient

[top view]

[bottom view]

[rear view] showing bracket

Another thing I wanted was to make it easy to fit. On the rear are two parallel plates that fit above and below the strut brace. The plates are drilled so nuts and bolts can be used to clamp it in place. (it will need some foam to pack it out and stop any rattles)

Here it is in position, I've not fitted it properly yet as I need to get an adaptor made to fit the breather on the block. I'll also need to do some creative plumbing to make it all fit neatly but so far so good.

[in situ]

As for the price. A steal at £80 + £6.95 P&P

If anyone want's one I can supply you the email address or phone number of the chap who made it. He's happy to make more of them. He's very busy though so try not to swamp him. We've been back and forthing over the design since January but he knocked up the finished job in about two weeks.

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

What's the benefits of these again? Lower emissions? Just wondering whether to take the plunge on one of these myself. Does it need custom hoses, or use oem stuff?

PJ
    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Originally posted by APNess
      What's the benefits of these again? Lower emissions? Just wondering whether to take the plunge on one of these myself. Does it need custom hoses, or use oem stuff?

PJ
      The benefit is you don't get oil vapour going into your air inlet - the oil doesn't burn too well. And you simplify your oil breather pipes - so less pipes to go wrong!

You can use normal rubber hoses that cost a few quid for a few metres - You will need to block the breather to the inlet of the turbo, replace a t piece at the back of the head witha straight bit of hose, and connect to the block - I think you could cut the metal hose that already joins to the head for that - that is one way although Ben has suggested another. You connect the oil drain plug to the sump plug - really easy with a fumoto valve.

You also might want to consider connecting the vapour outlet to the exhaust so the exhaust causes a vacuum so it sucks the vapour away - Nick has done this.

Looks Good Ben - although I have the breather inlets on the opposite side.
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Very nice Ben .

Mark.
        Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
          The benefit is you don't get oil vapour going into your air inlet - the oil doesn't burn too well. And you simplify your oil breather pipes - so less pipes to go wrong!
          Ahhh so THATS how all the oil ends up in the bottom of the intercooler? My old intercooler has been propped on it's side next to the radiator. Got a right puddle of sludge to get out now.

Right, it's on my list. Might need 'really simple instructions for a thick bloke' writing up from someone so I don't fook it up. Start with 'no.1 get out of bed on a morning, no.2 scratch ***... working through to no.1156 Drive car with new oil catch tank fitted'

PJ
          'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Looks good ben, o' how i wish 3B's had that much free space in the engine bay

martin

Comment

Looks good ben, I was wondering if its possible to use one inlet, a drain to the sump and the baffled output back into the inlet. This would also keep the vacuum on it.

Then could have both both inlet and out let on same side. I will draw a pic to make it easier to explain in a bit.

Greg
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Thia design couldn't have both the inlet and outlet on the same side as the baffles are designed to flow the air in one side and then down to the bottom and back up the other side through two more plates.

It is going to be a tight squeeze plumbing it in but should be too much of a problem. I had the outlet pointing towards the o/s so I could pipe it straight into the old aircon pipe that goes out in front of the o/s wheel.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                  Looks good ben, I was wondering if its possible to use one inlet, a drain to the sump and the baffled output back into the inlet. This would also keep the vacuum on it.

Then could have both both inlet and out let on same side. I will draw a pic to make it easier to explain in a bit.

Greg
                  The only improvement I could suggest is to have a 'screw top' on the unit to allow it to be cleaned easily.

David

Comment

Could do. Although it only clamped on with two bolts. Not a problem to take it off and give it a good blast or soak.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

I will certainly be getting one of these anyway. Not sure how i will route the pipes yet but im sure i will find a way.

Greg
                      Greg

Comment

Ben - Your timing is perfect... I was looking thru some go-faster catalogs last night (with the missus telling me that is actually sadder than ogling thru noodie mags - heheh)... hoping to find a halfway suitable looking cyclone or air/oil separator tank. Bailey seem to have one for a <sharp intake of breath> RS Fiesta which has the right configuration but it doesn't look like an easy fit in the mighty S2.

Lo and behold you have done a custom job here. I plan to use that with the 'evacusump' modification... which I'm thinking of getting plumbed into my new 70mm downpipe courtesy of our favourite Italian welder.

My only concern is that the outgoing air might not be free of enough oil vapour when sucked in before the CAT(s) which must be retained on my 94 car for MOT.

Anybody else got a view on that - Ben - can you sniff your air outlet and tell me how much it smells of oil ?

I might have to run the evacusump connection from after the CAT, but I can't do that day one and it would need a silly long hose into the engine bay. My idea with the southern section of the downpipe, with a nicely angled joint accepting special 8mm hose would be a neat installation.

Cheers,

Paul
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

BEN - Looking at the pics again - its a pity the inputs couldn't be more forward facing, but I appreciate that the internal construction has to be factored in. The outlet orientation works for my notion. Tis gonna require some stiff hoses and hard joint couplers to get the plumbing from the engine to the breather. I've always wanted some 'Aeroquip' in the engine bay - woohoo !

Howsabout we do this right once - maybe with MarkH's help as he must have every conceivable configuration of bits from the 'Speedline' catalog - then spec up an entire kit that could be made for group purchase... After we have proven it out on a few cars first of course. Will be only too glad to help. Will PM you later, but what hose diameter will work on the tank connections ?

Do you plan to keep the PCV valve on your install - or whip it out ?

Paul
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

how are the internal baffles set up inside the tank?
                            Greg

Comment

Working...
                            X