Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by martinjs
    Got some from euro car parts in chessington,
    well im actually in the middle of changing it at the moment.
    got a fumoto valve to fit too, no more oil spillages.....like the one i've just done...doh!

apparently bmw dealers stock the 10w-60 type as M3's + CSL's use it

martin
    BMW dealers aye,yeah i have my fumoto to fit also may do it this avo also.
    Rob W
    04 Audi S4 Avant
    55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
    92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
    1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

[QUOTE=Rob W]BMW dealers QUOTE]

the price will probably be double though

Comment

So Mobil 1 10/60 is fine?
        '93 Avant. First Avant in UK. Original Audi Press Car.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnsy
          So Mobil 1 10/60 is fine?
          Yes i think its fine but apparantly Castrol RS 10w-60 is the best bet,it makes for a very healthy oil pressure,assuming the car is in fine fettle anyways.
          Rob W
          04 Audi S4 Avant
          55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
          92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
          1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
            Im wanting to switch over to castrol rs oil but which is the correct viscosity for our engines? ive read in earlier threads that people have used 10w-60w?? but all i can find is the 0w type (with ralf schumacher on the can)
            isnt 0w too thick, ive read that some people think it is.

martin

Hi! You can see the meaning of the numbers here: http://www.tribology-abc.com/abc/viscosity.htm#SAE

example: 0W 40
            0W means its thin in cold(Winter) temp at a certain specified temerature.
            The last number is viskosity when oil is warm (at 100°C) 60 grade is thicker than 40

My recomendation is: fully syntetic, first digits 0W-5W if living in cold countrys and second digits 40-60 depending on engine condition and oilconsumption. Its better to change a "little bit cheaper oil" often than go for max price and change seldom. The "longlife stuff" is for carmanufactors enviroment diplomas.
            Last edited by Berra_200; 25 May 2004, 14:29. Reason: The last number is viskosity when oil is warm (at 100°C) 60 grade is thicker than 40
            Audi 200 20V (3B) avant

Comment

I serviced a friend's 2000 A4 1.8 (C5) with 130,000 km on the clock. We had a look at the oils in the shop and settled on Castrol Futron 20W60. It costs GBP14 for 5 litres whereas the Castrol RS 10W60 I use in my S2 costs nearly GBP 46.

Maybe a stupid question, but since I live in a part of the world where the lowest ever recorded temprature was -8 celcius and the lowest monthly average +4 C, do I really need to use 10W60 - wouldn't the 20W60 also be fine? The Castrol Futron is semi-synthetic and I prefer full synthetic oil, but the Futron is a hell of a lot cheaper?
              1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
              2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
              2006 Misano Red RS4
              2004 VW Touareg V8
              2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
              2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

Hi!

20W
                I´m totally convinced that it should be just fine for your climate and aplication, as long as it´s fairly standard, when you have uppgraded the engine you maybe should go fully syntetic IMO just becuse of the extra safety due to higher stability in hot temps inside the engine, turbo but that it´s also depending on drive style.
                Audi 200 20V (3B) avant

Comment

Thanks Berra - as I use my car a lot for track days, I will stick to Castrol RS 10W60.

Has anybody heard of Royal Purple Oil www.royalpurple.com I have heard that it works better than the Castrol RS and Mobil1. Silly name but if it works

Originally posted by Berra_200
                  Hi!

20W
                  I´m totally convinced that it should be just fine for your climate and aplication, as long as it´s fairly standard, when you have uppgraded the engine you maybe should go fully syntetic IMO just becuse of the extra safety due to higher stability in hot temps inside the engine, turbo but that it´s also depending on drive style.
                  1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
                  2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
                  2006 Misano Red RS4
                  2004 VW Touareg V8
                  2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
                  2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

Royal Purple ?? Royal Rabbit food I have heard of....

I´haven´t seen it here in Sweden yet, but they write about it all the times in these mags: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com and http://www.carcraft.com mayby they get paid for it, I have read some test I think, and it outperformed the other oils as you say.
                    but again the test was done by the mag :-)

http://www.redlineoil.com/ has won some tests to (They all had ;-) ), tried it in one of my former cars gearbox (URS4 4.2) but I didn´t think it made the shifting any better. I do like their injectorcleaner over STP.

Track days, nice! So this can actually be your EM then : http://www.elektro.com/~audi/rs2/redhot/
                    Audi 200 20V (3B) avant

Comment

When changing to Castrol RS10/60 for the first time, did anyone do anything different in the oil change? Eg do a flush, or change it again very soon afterwards? ie - does it mix ok with any of the inevitable oil residue that will be left around?

What should one expect to pay for this magic 10/60 stuff?
                      Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
                        When changing to Castrol RS10/60 for the first time, did anyone do anything different in the oil change? Eg do a flush, or change it again very soon afterwards? ie - does it mix ok with any of the inevitable oil residue that will be left around?

What should one expect to pay for this magic 10/60 stuff?
                        When I first used it the guy who services my car (once a year) put it in for me. I think he used an engine flush like he always does. Should be fine to just drain and refill AFAIK.

The only thing is it takes ages to pour it into the egnine as it is so thick

As for price - about £30 ish for 4 litres.
                        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Any on-line retailers willing to flog it to me that people know of?
                          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

http://www.castrolclassicoils.co.uk/
                            Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Working...
                            X