Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an ADU block is this it on the end of the arrow in this pic? I cant really see what significance this could have.........is it only on the ADU?

The tooth spacings are exactly the same, the ADU pump pulley has 26 teeth and the ABY 29 teeth, so the ADU pump spins and pumps faster for any given engine speed relative to the ABY pump.

Mark.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark Halligan; 25 May 2004, 20:52.
    Mark - Modded

Comment

How long before you get a mirror finish on the block Mark

Can you take a pic of that head oil return valve in the block? Where is the adapter that holds it in place? I'm just wondering if I need to get a new adapter before I rebuild it - and my block is at the machine shop.
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
        Can you take a pic of that head oil return valve in the block? Where is the adapter that holds it in place? I'm just wondering if I need to get a new adapter before I rebuild it - and my block is at the machine shop.
        Doug,

mine is at the shop too, at the moment, waiting to be bored and honed. I'll post some pics when I get it back, I ordered my return valve today, I got the one listed for modded vehicles, dunno if its any different, I'll compare it to the old one when I get it back.

Mark.
        Mark - Modded

Comment

That is exactly it Mark, nice picture thank you! I know you answered this question, but, what the hell is it for??? all it can do is seal the stat tightly, maybe the pump spinning faster moves much more water, this extra seal is needed to 'protect' the stat??!! odd...

Cheers mate
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Doug,

Its been a while since I had the block at homebut from what I remember the valve is here (red arrow) and is removed by a 12 point torx bit, as Roger stated in his thread.

Mark.
            Attached Files
            Mark - Modded

Comment

Mr Bling, is trying to get a bling block too!!!!!!!! Where will this show and shine crap stop?
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I would be interested to see what the modified one is - Is it better to have a higher oil pressure in the head? Is that all this valve is doing?
                S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
                  maybe the pump spinning faster moves much more water,
                  Martyn,

I think that this is one reason why no-one has found that the engine overheats when the aux rad is removed, I think that the water just circulates quicker with just the one rad and the cooling is more efficient with the faster flow, hence improved cooling with the faster ADU pump maybe?

Cheers,

Mark.
                  Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                    I would be interested to see what the modified one is - Is it better to have a higher oil pressure in the head? Is that all this valve is doing?
                    Dunno mate .

Mark.
                    Mark - Modded

Comment

It wont control the pressure, the pressure relief valve does that. AFAIK. Never come across it before. Is it in the Bently manuals????
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I thought the valve under the oil sender was just a one-way valve to prevent oil draining from the galleries to the hydraulic lifters. This is there to keep the lifters full of oil, when the engine is standing, to prevent that nasty tapping from cold. I'll have a look through the 3B manual, as I'm sure there is a description of it somewhere..Doesn't explain why there would be an uprated one though??
                        91 Modded 3B
                        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan View Post
                          I have an ADU block is this it on the end of the arrow in this pic? I cant really see what significance this could have.........is it only on the ADU?

The tooth spacings are exactly the same, the ADU pump pulley has 26 teeth and the ABY 29 teeth, so the ADU pump spins and pumps faster for any given engine speed relative to the ABY pump.

Mark.
                          And to note that timing belt lengths are different in ADU/ABY and different spare part numbers. I ´ve seen one engine that had ABY pump in tuned ADU engine and experiencing some driveability problems between 4000 to 5000 RPM. Small things make the difference.

Comment

Yes - very true... You can run ADU water pump on ABY but you MUST use the ADU timing belt.
                            Paul Nugent
                            Webmaster http://S2central.net
                            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

as far as im aware the heater matrix is the same as in golf etc. there was a problem where excessive folw can make the matrix leak. a recall was done on golf and a restricor put inline.id expect this is for the same reason. nobody want to replace the heater matrix.

Comment

Is possible to have the RS2 whater pump puley on the 3B pump?
                                Will be nice because i can still use the 3B oil pump and Block.
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X