Overboosting.... Help im running out of ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, did drop one of them shiny nuts. cheers John

Hopefully i will finally get my new cap hard chromed once i have time to sort it out so it will all be nice and shiny.

Greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Glad you've sorted it greg, i think my wgfv is causing my problem, once it gets to about 5k rpm it reverts back to mechanical boost, i replaced it just over a year ago as well :-/
      so tried a spare one which was in the aby maf to turbo hose i got, so its not new, and it now goes to 6krpm then does the same thing. think the vapours fron the breather system can clog them up.
      woops...thread hijack.

martin

Comment

yeah they can get a bit clogged up, give the pipes a bit of a clean out and give it another try. Ive had to replace my WGFV a few times now, its almost a service item for me now!

Greg
        Greg

Comment

Is there a list on the forum of all these acronyms?

WGFV? Waste Gate f* Valve???

Comment

frequency

Comment

not a bad idea that jamo. I'll see what i can come up with. need a web translator for this site sometimes.
              Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                yeah they can get a bit clogged up, give the pipes a bit of a clean out and give it another try. Ive had to replace my WGFV a few times now, its almost a service item for me now!

Greg
                May be completely off the wall here but I imagine the WGFV has a lot more work to do in a chipped car. It stays in the relaxed mode untill the car reaches the limit of mechanical boost then starts to divert pressure away from the WG diaphragm above that. On a chipped and big turbo'd car theres quite a lot of difference .

I've got mine working again by washing out thoroughly with GT85 (like WD40 but better I think) and repeatedly operating it while washing by connecting to a battery. All kinds of muck comes out.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Has anybody got any pictures / diagrams of this?

Wouldn't mind checking it on my chipped motor.

Comment

is your motor an ABY or 3B jamo? If you look on drivers side down near where the DV is and the head light you will see a small solenoid with a brown body and metal plate around one side with 3 pipes coming from it. It has a two pin connection onto the top.

Greg
                    Greg

Comment

I have an ABY Greg, will it be in the same place?

I'll have a look later.

Comment

yeah will be in the same position, on the ABY the connector will be going off in the direction of the wing.

Greg
                        Greg

Comment

oh oh can i try? i still have a mental block on what the wgfv does? also how do you adjust the boost on a standard set up? harder waste gate spring? i ahd the same over boost, i fitted a k&n filter in the airbox and that sorted it, i also get good results from optimax! ouch on the wallet though! any ideas on exhausts?

Comment

are you after a new exhaust? or? WG spring shoudl be done only if car is mapped AFAIK. But you can adjust mechanical boost to ensure it is setup as stock. Disconnect the WGFV then go up road and make sure it doesnt go more than 0.4 or 0.6 bar from memory. then the allen bolt in top of WG can be adjusted to set it up right.

Greg
                            Greg

Comment

Adjusting the boost should be done with proper chip tuning NOT just a WG spring or tightening the WG right up!

Greg
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X