K26 turbo questions and advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K26 turbo questions and advice

I am new to this great forum,and am basically sponging some info and help,hope you's dont mind

I building a 16v (VW mk1 Golf)with turbo(a mini S2)anyway i using mostly S2 parts and need some(lots) of help

turbo K26,water and oil cooled,can someone tell me what this turbo came from(was told a 5000T US),what boost,bhp is it capable off??
    kund-nr 055 145 703M
    grosse k26
    atl,nr 85 678 0082
    ausf,nr 5326 970 6412

std S2 manifold

i have 2x wastgates,got one cheap with turbo(5000Qt) and another from ebay told (S2),is there anyway to tell which wastegate is set for what boost,will both be the same,also any way to test them,woud stripping them be simple and would the spring be visbly different??

S2 inlet manifold ,FPR, injectors(thanx VAGSPORT)(good guy good prices)

Intercoolers,i have a number of intercooler, have a 200QT,twin TT,twin 2.7,also G60,TD,i know bigger is better,to an extent,but how would you size an intercooler properly,are plastic end tank okay under 200bhp,,what about welding to twin SMIC,together and making new end tanks??

If any ones intrested,plan to run std 1.8 16v with G60 cable change box,and also G60 digi1 injection,with low boost,only looking for around 180-200bhp as a starting point(till i can afford a built 2.0L or a S2)anyway tips, advice or help would be great ,this is my first turbo project(if you hadnt already guessed)

Long post,im sorry,but if you can answer anything would be great

One last question,what thottle bodies does everyone use,does the RS and S2 have the same TB?? i have to modified my S2 IM by cutting a runner of and some of the main chamber,and will need to fab it to take a TB,so can basically fit any,just wondering what would be best,i see lot of US guys running VR6 TB,anyone any idea's

The WG spring on the S2 is weaker than the spring on the 10valve cars as the old K jet injection does not have electronic boost control. I'd start off with the weaker spring and see what happens. It is easy to get to the spring, just undo the small nuts on the WG cover and the spring will push it off, mind your face in case it comes unstuck at the last minute.
    The K26 is ok for 250bhp cos my ur has run that for years, its a little slow to spool up in comparison to the K24 on the S2 though. The Turbo gurus on here will tell you more.
    The plastic ended IC _can_ get to over 1 bar but its recommended you use some straps to hold the ends on!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

The K26 is only slow to spool because the K Jetronic does not fuel effieciently, with Luminition it spools SOOO much faster a d now produces full boost from 2600rpm rather than 3250rpm as standard, oh! and it will produce 320bhp but this IS it's limit.
      Corey
      01636 822288

Comment

Thanx guys,when i went for the K26 i actually wanted a K24 but found them harder to source and more expensive,anyway dont mind a bit of lag,makes City driving bit less frenzied,are all K26 turbo the same spec's,or are most models different wheel sizes.
        When i bought my turbo,was descirbed as refurbed,when it arrived it had zero shaft play and spun freely,after a few weeks of it lying around my house,it seems to have seized slightly,now doesnt spin freely,it still has no play,it hard to explain as it doesnt feel like wheel hitting housing or anything,the seller i contact and he told me once fitted and runit would be fine just a bit of build up(i know this sounds dodgy)anyone had any similair problem with a turbo lying around,i did run some oil thru it and did seem to help,lastly the actual exhaust housing,each 2 bolt hold shim,should these be completely flat with catridge lip??as mine seem slightly angled(very slight)i have cracked 5 of the bolt's and one left is seized(will get it tomorrow with more tools)anyway before i start trying to straighten the housing should it be complete flush??
        p.s where in UK can i source seals,need the outlet side housing seal

Comment

Yes when the turbo is not used for a while it seems to get a bit sticky, doesn't spin easily, mine was exactly like that, no problem. To really work properly the bearings have to have oil pressure.
          Try VagParts for your gaskets. Link on the front page.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

That turbo may be too large for your project. Due to the capacity of the engine it will take longer to spool up. Same with Newsh on the IC, plastic tanks are ok upto approx 0.8-1 bar. But then i take it this will be a low boost car anyway? If it is then IC size wont be too much of a problem. TT setup would work fine.

Good luck with the project, make sure you post show pics and your progress in the projects area (or have i missed that thread LOL)
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
            X