• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newsh
    There goes your tenner mate

Corey
    01636 822288

Comment

Paul, why don't you pressurize the whole system, including the crankcase vent system???? If you have a leak in one of the breather hoses, you won't be able to see it if you block the breather hoses off when pressurizing.

I always check the whole system and make sure there's no leaks in the breather hoses, and it's never played trick on me so far...

Cheers,

Mihnea
      '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
      info@MRCTuning.com
      Workshop Directions

Comment

My car leaks a bit thro the turbo seals. Shaft has a little bit of side to side play, but not excessive. I would like to pressurise my car at Billing too. Im ******ed if I can find a leak. I bet its dead obvious and a sod to fix!!
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I'm still wondering if you all have rear crank seal issues?

And before I get another flaming, I am already in hiding...
          Corey
          01636 822288

Comment

Done mine :nana: Comes complete with rear housing housing. About 40 quid from memory? Gearbox and flywheel off job tho But then if that was leaking badly enough to cause running issues, would you not have a large trail of oil in the bellhousing that seeps out??

Im not saying it isnt that as i have never come accross this.

But also, the inlet side of the turbo isnt subject normally to 2 bar of boost pressure. Maybe i have a dying turbo then. Its only 18 months old tops
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

AFAIK turbos are supposed to have a bit of play side to side, not end float though.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                Done mine :nana: Comes complete with rear housing housing. About 40 quid from memory? Gearbox and flywheel off job tho But then if that was leaking badly enough to cause running issues, would you not have a large trail of oil in the bellhousing that seeps out??

Im not saying it isnt that as i have never come accross this.
                Oil is not always leaking out, it can be a dry seal and still hold the fluids back, seen many ur's with this. It will give poor running due to the engine seeing unmetered air.
                As Newsh says a screeching noise is sometimes present, which is the air being sucked in.

The problem with how you recieve the new housing/seal is that you are limited to were the seal sits on the crankshaft, if the old seal has worn a groove in the crank shaft, then you need to move the seal so that it will sit on a clean bit of shaft.

It "MAY???" not be the correct diagnosis for this situation but if you guys with the newer stuff are having air leak issues consider the problems that us older stuff guys have already experienced?

A good way to tell if the crankshaft oil seal is leaking is, place a long metal rod on the bell housing (engine running) and place your ear on the other end. Think of it as a stetherscope, you will be surprised what you can hear.
                Corey
                01636 822288

Comment

Point taken Corey, im sure that this would cause a poor running situation. Maybe pressurise the whole system as Mihnea said, that way it will show up any dodgy oil seals and the like. I have replaced all the breather hoses on mine now(kerching, not cheap). I will get to the bottom of it hopefully at Billing. Weather permitting
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

When my rear crank seal had gone, it wasn't leaking, but was making a bad screetching noise.... Was presuring the engine internals alot, you could also tell by taking the filler cap off and the noise will stop...
                    Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Fair shout, i have never come accross this. something to look for in the future!

They say that you learn something new everyday!
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

What sort of noise was it making? sometimes if car has been standing a few days you get a squeaking noise until the oil pressure is up.

Greg
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                          What sort of noise was it making? sometimes if car has been standing a few days you get a squeaking noise until the oil pressure is up.

Greg
                          It sounds like a dry belt pulley, but coming from the gearbox end of the engine funny enough! You know if its defo that as like I said when you take the filler cap off, it disappears....
                          Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

If you pressurise the whole system without blanking PCV hoses then you just end up pushing air past the oil filler cap and piston rings - air then escaping thru whatever valves are open.

I'll get a bung so I can pressurise the PCV system right up to the valve on the crankcase as that will test a few more hoses and joints.

I'm planning on deleting the PCV system anyway after seeing how much oil vapour gets circulated in the turbo hoses.

Paul
                            Paul Nugent
                            Webmaster http://S2central.net
                            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

must admit I'd like to do the PCV replacement but I'm a bit daunted by what kit to buy to do the job, everyone's seems to be different out there.
                              Jim

Comment

Should there be vacume present when i open the oil filler cap while the engine is running, i have no gasses coming out and i couldnt feel much if any vacume, and it didnt make the slightest difference on the cars tickover. The car was cold.
                                When i start the car up i get one puff of blue smoke on the first rev then none for the rest of the day. I have put in new stem seals so it cannot be them, my turbo is slightly worn and it also has a blocked fuel filter so i am avoiding using it till Friday (payday). But could the smoke be whats sucked through the PCV system as mine did show signs of a leak but i couldnt find it.
                                Graham
                                Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X