Wastegate Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wastegate Settings

Im trying to get the root of my running problem (still ), loss of boost/power at 5k, not a violent cutout though a la major boost leak.
    anyway im now looking at my wastegate, the spring was cranked right down, so first i disconnected the WGFV and got 0.4bar and would rev to redline.
    i thought this was a bit low??
    so unwound the screw back to stock settings and am still getting 0.4bar with WGFV disconnected!! so basically adjusting the spring to whatever setting makes no difference at all...any ideas?
    shot WG diaphram?

martin

If your diaphragm was shot the wastegate would not open so the boost would be too high. Perhaps the spring is broken or someone removed the perch?

Where is the boost gauge connected? can you be sure it is reading correctly?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

John, took the cap off and the spring and perch are ok, with wgfv connected it boosts to 1.5bar as it always has but drops to anywhere between 0 and 0.4bar when it gets to 5krpm.
      did change wgfv btw

martin

Comment

Sounds like a boost leak that's just happening under high boost. Did you check the system at Billing, with Paul's compressor and bits?
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

with that WGFV disconnected you should be able to dial in your on boost. Which spring are you using martin? I have a shcok absorber one in mine and that produces 1.2 bar with ease, with the wGFV un plugged
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

im back with the stock spring now, i cant understand why adjusting the screw in the cap with the wgfv unplugged it didnt alter from 0.4 at all.
            with it plugged in it boosted to 1.4 ish at about 3200k rpm then stay there then it just loses all boost past 5k. this cant be a leak as it pretty much holds what boost mihnea set (1.5bar, was still using 3b ic at the time)
            but....
            last night i removed the wg cap and tried to take the diaphram off, gave up in the end awkward to do, anyway put it back together plugged wgfv back in (spring at stock setting) and only goes to 1.1bar now but didnt cut out..what the **** is going on. wound screw down a bit and got to 1.25bar but starts playing up again.
            apart from the diaphram is there anything else in the wastegate that can wear at all?
            regarding the rest of the intake pipes i plugged the turbo outlet pipe,dv take off, isv take off and the pipe onto the throttle body and put 2.5bar in which it held fine.
            i'll change the wg diaphram and have another go.

martin

Comment

Weird. I have no idea mate.
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Perhaps a leak in one of the control hoses from turbo to WG via the WGFV ?
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Sounds a bit similar to my problem. Boosts to 1.4 bar then slowly looses it from about 2750 rpm.

With the WGFV disconnected I can't get more than 0.4 bar(ish) no matter how far I screw the srping down? I have replaced all the hoses including the control hoses to the WG and still no idea.

Mine is a definite leak, I was driving the car the the window down the other week and the noise is massive you really hear it loosing all the air - suspect something around the WG but no ideas as yet. Hope it's not a cracked ex man or something.
                  Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

I have a spare 3B wastgate that hasn't been played with. It will fit on an ABY. I can check the diaphragm for you with a mityvac and let you borrow it to see if it makes a difference. Paul has a spare as well. Martin/Leigh? (it's isn't a light lump so will cost a few quid to post)
                    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Cheers Doug

I'm hoping to book some time with Paul N and spend a day seriously looking for the problem. We will probably change the WG then see what happens.

Paul's a busy man so not sure when yet but we'll get there

Leigh
                      Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Right, ive cured the problem... for the moment anyway.
                        dont ask me how though.
                        i removed all the pre turbo pipes, wgfv pipes etc, checked them all for splits etc but they are fine , i changed them all anyway not so long ago when i swapped to aby intake system.
                        so put it back together used new jubillee clips (2 in some places) and doesnt cut out anymore
                        i think a couple of clips were possibly leaking. So i can now rev it to redline first time ive been able to do this since ive fitted this intercooler and there is definately an improvement. i'll wind the wastegate down again and see what i get.
                        i have a spare w/g also doug, was going to try it but dont need to now. i'll change the diaphram anyway.

i'll give it a good test tomorrow

cheers
                        martin

Comment

i knew i'd spoken too soon,i adjusted the w/g spring to get over 1.3bar and the problem returns so i cant go above that at the moment.

this cant be fuel related at all could it?
                          where's mihnea?

martin

Comment

Mihnea is touring the US mapping lots of S4/S6 s .

You can plug in a fuel pressure gauge and drive hard to see if you get it staying at whatever your FPR is.
                            S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Well i do have a 7A pressure reg, but will it need mapping if i fit this now?

martin

Comment

Working...
                              X