Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCV deletion / Catchtank installation

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PCV deletion / Catchtank installation

    Recently bought stevieyids old ABY S2 Coupe (rs2 conversion) now running with a know working ECU with the Homefry N-stream (1.6bar) when i installed this the car was boosting to 1.6bar but never solidly held 1.6bar seemed to flutter on the guage around 1.6bar and now it does the same but at only 1.4/1.5bar, ive checked all the silicon boost hoses and everything seems to be tight, same ive checked all the vacume hoses and also all tight and in good shape.

    Firstly any ideas where or what could cause this fluttering on the guage and not reaching max boost?

    Secondly, could it be down to the PCV system? and if so id like to replace it all with a catch tank, i know this has been done and probably discussed to death but i cant seem to find a difinitive post with all the details/parts required to completly do away with the system.

    If i was to put a breather filter on the camcover breather that normally vents back to the turbo inlet hose? and block the inlet hose up with an appropriate sized bung (is that ok, nessasary or pointless??)

    Next, the breather at the back of the head (LHS) a silicon hose from there to a catchtank?

    and finally, the metal outlet on the crank case a silicon hose from there to the catchtank?

    what am i then left with that needs removing, or have i got this completly wrong?


  • #2
    I assume you are using the standard incar boost gauge if so these are slightly inaccurate but more importantly dependant on the vacuum lines going to the ECU. If these are either split or not correctly fitted you will see a lower pressure reading.
    Also things to look at is leaky injector seats these will leak enough to drop pressure readings.

    Putting all that aside catch tanks can get quite intricate depending what you want it to achieve. But just putting a filter to the rocker cover will stink your car out with oil fumes. I've tried numerous combination of makeshift setups in order to achieve a final design that works for my engine setup but would be considered overkill for a lot of other engines.

    S2central I believe has diagrams on his site showing the basic setup.
    UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

    Comment


    • #3
      im using an auxillary in car boost guage, and while i know they are not the most accurate things when the replacement ECU was fitted it was hitting 1.6 bar every time and now it sits at 1.4/1.5 and the needle flutters, doesnt hold constant

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by avants2turbo View Post
        im using an auxillary in car boost guage, and while i know they are not the most accurate things when the replacement ECU was fitted it was hitting 1.6 bar every time and now it sits at 1.4/1.5 and the needle flutters, doesnt hold constant
        Check the vac pipe at the ECU then surely?
        Audi A4 1.8Tq

        VW Passat 1.8T RIP

        Comment


        • #5
          My car flutters on max boost too, if you're leak free then it can be due to the N75 IIRC. What MAP sensor has been fitted to replace the S2 one?

          There are loads of ways of sorting the PCV, give me a shout if you have any questions as I've been looking into it all recently while designing my custom ABY/RS2 catch tank.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            My car flutters on max boost too, if you're leak free then it can be due to the N75 IIRC. What MAP sensor has been fitted to replace the S2 one?

            There are loads of ways of sorting the PCV, give me a shout if you have any questions as I've been looking into it all recently while designing my custom ABY/RS2 catch tank.
            Understatement

            Comment


            • #7
              Yours is now drawn and going for quote this week Mr. J
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

              Comment


              • #8
                Block the MAF tube with a bung.
                Ignore the upper connection at the back of the cam cover on the ABY, its just a tunnel through the cover.
                Other pipe from back of cam cover to catch tank.
                Pipe from crankcase to catch tank.
                Use biggest pipes you can, crankcase is 30mm
                Connect carbon can valve direct to IM and lose the other small pipe. Valve only open when throttle is closed to apply vac to the can. (this step will delete the infamous plastic one-way-valve)
                Sorted.
                Last edited by newsh; 1st February 2015, 20:37.

                S2 Coupe 3B Project


                Ur quattro restoration

                S2 Avant

                Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've got a catch tank and bung ready to go if you want to use vent to atmosphere. It's a 19mm inlet so takes straight off the ABY combination pipe, I've been running one for 2 years and it's worked well.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by newsh View Post
                    Block the MAF tube with a bung.
                    Ignore the upper connection at the back of the cam cover on the ABY, its just a tunnel through the cover.
                    Other pipe from back of cam cover to catch tank.
                    Pipe from crankcase to catch tank.
                    Use biggest pipes you can, crankcase is 30mm
                    Connect carbon can valve direct to head and lose the other small pipe. Valve only open when throttle is closed to apply vac to the can. (this step will delete the infamous plastic one-way-valve)
                    Sorted.
                    John, that all sounds very simple, but what exactly do i need to buy to achive this?

                    Ive currently got Paul Nugents ecu in the car with the Bosch 3bar map sensor in it

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      As I said, I've got one catch tank kit left for sale, £99 including delivery. If you want a custom tank with the 30mm inlet from the block and 14mm from the head then I can also sort out a custom one at a slightly increased cost. I have 19mm bungs to block the breather for sale too, hard anodised black, £9 each.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One interesting thing is across the Pond the US guys are saying do not use the nipple on the rear of the cam cover for a catch tank as it fills with oil under hard acceleration.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                          One interesting thing is across the Pond the US guys are saying do not use the nipple on the rear of the cam cover for a catch tank as it fills with oil under hard acceleration.
                          Thats quite interesting........ Maybe worth using a one way valve or just testing it with a clear bottle and a old bit of hose?
                          Chef

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            They are taking it to the top of cam cover, just read it today on motorgeek http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/view...t=32530#397282

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Old Sump plugs fit perfectly to bung main rad top hose, PCV maf hose connection and DV connection if venting to atmosphere.
                              91 S2 coupé - RIP
                              98 S8 - Luxury barge

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X