044 pump now fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 044 pump now fitted

Well got a surprise today.. Changed the old 15 year old fuel pump for an uprated 044 Bosch pump and took the old girl up the road,, after some spluttering as the obvious difference in fuelling was learnt and the engine warmed up flicked the switch to the Sport position and floored it in 2nd.. OMG the thing took off like it had suddenly gained Nitrous. Previously the car would slow down slightly after 5000rpm, but no more, instead the engine seems to pull stronger the higher the revs rise and saw 1.4 bar boost for the first time since having Paul's switchable chip set installed. Cannot wait for 1st April (gets taxed)for proper blast... Happy chappy
    1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
    2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
    2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Nice! I need to fit mine, and after i've read that i think i want mine done before April as well for the ring

Was i difficult to fit, any tips?
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Sounds good I'm going to need one of them, where did you get it from?
      URQ 20vt converted
      80 quattro saloon with on going a V8 transplant

Comment

What all else has been done to the engine?
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Sounds good I'm going to need one of them, where did you get it from?
          E bay for £116. Also found the correct inlet adapter too, outlet side a perfect fit from the factory.

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
          What else has been done to the engine?
          Basically standard but with modded airbox, water to air charge cooler, ported head, performance stainless exhaust (no cat)and Paul's latest switchable 3B chipset. All in a series 2 weighing in at just 1275kg according to weighbridge at work last year
          Oh and CGR 6 speed box..
          1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.

Comment

Originally posted by 20Vcqdriver View Post
            and CGR 6 speed box..
            Slightly off topic, did you need to do much to get this to fit?

Sapphire cos running custom 2.8litre conversion,es cos rims,raven black leather interior and 500+ with the gas turned off.

Audi s2 cooking on gas

Comment

Basically standard but with modded airbox, water to air charge cooler, ported head, performance stainless exhaust (no cat)and Paul's latest switchable 3B chipset. All in a series 2 weighing in at just 1275kg according to weighbridge at work last year
              Oh and CGR 6 speed box..
              Sounds like fun Should be good for surprising a lot of cars.
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Hi David,
                I must have missed your thread about fitting the engine. So you're finally up and running?
                How are you finding everything - enjoying the power? What spec and what turbo did you settle for? Brakes?
                Good luck and enjoy!
                Cheers
                Chris
                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                  What all else has been done to the engine?
                  Andy - he's just described how a certain emerald green 3B coupe drives. Jeez I miss it..

Comment

the pump does make a difference. needed the map trimming.

sonic - you have same car as me so heres how i did it.

order the 3b basket from audi. order the strainer too as its different.

make sure youy have the full connectors from audi too.

to get the old one out remove the carpet and metal lid in the boot.
                    knock round the locking ring on the top of the tank.
                    pull the sender unit out of the tank.

in the tank you will then see the hose for the pump and the pump in the basket below. disconnect the pump hose.

removing the basket is the hardest bit. if its been out before its easier. try putting on a tough glove and twisting it by hand or 2 hands. if not a small piece of wood or a small chisl may help . oyu need to knock it round to loosen it from the clip. lift out whole pump and basket.

you will find the aby pump is skinny and the 3b the same size as the 044. the 044 wont fit in the housing without cutting though. you need to cut up the length of the INNER housing and slide the pump in. you will finds its blocked by the small gause from sitting properly. dont cut it off just trim the edge till it fits. you can get away without damamging the gause. to hold the pump steady 2 cable ties around the inner part of the pump housing. set the pump a cm or so above the gause in the strainer.

chuck it back in the tank and test. the inner cover in the boot is a great noise deadner.

last tip. make sure the ring around the gauge sender (the last bit to go back on the tank) seals well. it may need refitting to it.

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                      the pump does make a difference. needed the map trimming.

sonic - you have same car as me so heres how i did it.

order the 3b basket from audi. order the strainer too as its different.

make sure youy have the full connectors from audi too.

to get the old one out remove the carpet and metal lid in the boot.
                      knock round the locking ring on the top of the tank.
                      pull the sender unit out of the tank.

in the tank you will then see the hose for the pump and the pump in the basket below. disconnect the pump hose.

removing the basket is the hardest bit. if its been out before its easier. try putting on a tough glove and twisting it by hand or 2 hands. if not a small piece of wood or a small chisl may help . oyu need to knock it round to loosen it from the clip. lift out whole pump and basket.

you will find the aby pump is skinny and the 3b the same size as the 044. the 044 wont fit in the housing without cutting though. you need to cut up the length of the INNER housing and slide the pump in. you will finds its blocked by the small gause from sitting properly. dont cut it off just trim the edge till it fits. you can get away without damamging the gause. to hold the pump steady 2 cable ties around the inner part of the pump housing. set the pump a cm or so above the gause in the strainer.

chuck it back in the tank and test. the inner cover in the boot is a great noise deadner.

last tip. make sure the ring around the gauge sender (the last bit to go back on the tank) seals well. it may need refitting to it.

Ah yes, Forgot mine is a simple swap as pump already on the outside under the car. Unlike later cars that are in the tank...

Chris - Running standard Turbo until I have saved up enough pennies to get the block uprated (slow going at moment). Then will look at options. Brakes are 280mm front, 256mm rear Black Diamond, biggest I can fit without going up to 16" wheels which I want to avoid..

Pete - CGR fairly straightforward in a Cq as rear diff the correct ratio. Have an article in the Audi Driver about it if you're interested.

Comment

the standard block is pretty tough. id do rods and shells and fit a bigger turbo and put 1.8 bar in her. al least. done yourself it will cost 500 or so.

Comment

Already got a spare block, but as I do not wish to touch the bottom end again in my lifetime am having the bores re-bored & honed and 1st oversize pistons, scat rods and ABY/RS2 bearings. Will get there eventually, fortunately I have a lot of patience....

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                            sonic - you have same car as me so heres how i did it....
                            Cheers

You don't have a list of part numbers for that by any chance?
                            S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

theres a thread on here with the pump fitting and the nut from the rs2 thats needed. i dont have the pn's no. its a 3b basket and strainer.

make sure you get all the bits. the 2 hour job it all is ended in 4 weeks due to parts supply issues.

is basically.

pump with screw in fitting thats supplied.
                              fitting to connect the line
                              nut to blank the end on the pump.
                              3b basket and strainer.
                              2 cable ties.
                              hacksaw to cut inner housing.

pump assembly with parts takes about 20 minutes.
                              removal and refit about 1.5 hours.

its basically like a factory fit + 2 cable ties with all mthe parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X