Holset vs. Other turbos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holset vs. Other turbos

So, I have a 1993 urS4 and I'm going to do a moderate build on it for now. I want to get around 350whp for until I put new rods in it.
    From what I've been reading right now I think that going with a Holset hx35 turbo, VEMS, new EM with a T3 flange, and proper injectors to go with it is the best way to go.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on going with this turbo or using a different one?? The more input the better.
    And keep in mind this is on a budget. The reason I like the holset so much is because they are easy to get, cheap, and cheap to rebuild

i think the HX35 should get you around 400-450hp depending on hardware.That would be a safe estimate IMO.

Comment

Ya, I think it can do more than that. But for now I just want around 350awhp cuz I don't want to do rods yet

Comment

350awhp is rod bending id expect. whats that 420hp.

its gotta be borderline.

Comment

Well, according to everyone on motorgeek you can go up to 400whp on stock rods, but 350whp is going to be more reliable and less risky. It also really depends on the tune..

Comment

IMO You need to consider more about torque and where in the rev range it's distributed than out and out bhp to that end as long as you limit low end torque to sensible levels you will be fine

Comment

it depends where the power is delivered on the rev range. Also the hp or whp figure depends on the dyno done.There are lots of differences in power numbers coming from the US, so noone really understands the equivalents anymore.

regardless of hp or whp, more than 550Nm(roughly) of crank torque coming at about 3000rpm can possibly bend the rods. If it appears at 4000rpm, its safe

Comment

how can you define a safe limit? its not possible. some parts have been treated well others not. some are high milers so have mores stresses work ed out of them. if the limit you say is 400whp and you go 390 and bend stuff its purely your fault for believing something. why trust a xxx value engine and build on heresay and finite thresholds.

jamo is correct torque and fast acting low end torqu is the killer. id say on the holset you may be ok. maybe. i wouldn't risk the block on it. Also cant see the point in detuning a setup to avoid torque otherwise it may as well be a more lowly setup.

holset units are good.

expect to make 350hp and similar torque on the holset at 1.3bar or so. 4500krpm. make sure you have a mls gasket.

on the vems - yes its great. or being statside try lugnuts.

manifolds. maybe killa can help here. or racecraft. id go tubular and t3. injectors start with the seimmens 006. save the hassle and they work fine on vems.

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                  how can you define a safe limit? its not possible. some parts have been treated well others not. some are high milers so have mores stresses work ed out of them. if the limit you say is 400whp and you go 390 and bend stuff its purely your fault for believing something. why trust a xxx value engine and build on heresay and finite thresholds.
                  very well said

Comment

GazzaG60,
                    I completely agree with you. It is impossible to define a safe limit on any engine, but you can take a generic number and base your decision off of that knowing how many miles are on it and other factors.

As far as the manifold goes, I think I am going to end getting 034's new T3 flanged Log style cast manifold. I don't like that they are putting the wastegate mount on the underside of the manifold so you can't use your stock wastegate. But I guess it's the best option for a T3 flanged em. I could go with an eBay tube manifold and weld on a T3 flange, but i'm sure they're junk.

Comment

Don't get me started on that manifold, you would be better buying a good tube manifold than installing that thing

Comment

Which one? The eBay or the 034?

Comment

034's one, if your after a budget manifold then this would be better http://www.wagner-tuning.de/produkte/abgasrs2rohr.php

It's from Wagner and Gazza will tell you the service and warranty on them is 2nd to none

Comment

Thread about the 034 manifold,

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=Log+manifold

And yes your correct about the cheap tubular manifolds and also the people that are copying Wagners stuff they are **** to!!!!
                            Chef

Comment

Wow! That's the first time I've seen that. The problem is shipping is probably gonna be a ton to get it to the US. Is the only bad thing about the cheaper tube em's the flanges? I could just have them milled flat, just an idea

Comment

Working...
                              X