Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Josh-stateside View Post
    Just to add to this?

If the car was a daily driver I'd do a built bottom end and use a nice precision or garrett turbo. It's not going to be a daily driver. It will never be a dailly driver and the triple A card will help when the car craps it's insides out and I need a tow home.

That's the way my mind works these days. I know it's going to break. I'm not bothered by the idea of it breaking.
    I really dont think that 350whp will "crap" my internals. It will pretty much be a daily driver for now. Its like im gonna rail on it everywhere, but i will definitely open it up a bit. I dont want to have to deal with blowing up an engine and building a new one, but i also have a budget for this build that i am trying to stay in. If 350whp is to risky, i wont do it. But ive have heard from multiple people that you can go up to 400whp on stock rods, and they say 350 will be very safe

Comment

throwing out a quick question for you guys my bro just told me we had a hx35w turbo laying around (haha gotta love when you have stuff like that laying around) but was wondering what power is this turbo capable of producing with the right tuning fuel etc! thanks guys

Comment

I think they take out 450+ Wheel power , it depence though what kind if exducer and size of exhaust housing. I dont have the spec from it anymore ?
        Easy to calculate if there is any wheel dims ? In / out ? any clue.
        FEEL THE DIFFERENCE

-Audi S2 " The Sleeper" 704hp 880nm
        -Audi S2 ""Audi S2 Racetrack

Comment

Stock internals manage 350 hp easy ! but wont push it over 400-420 though. can be risky and damn expensive

Just look at a Re-mapped Audi RS2 with stock turbo ? it works nice !

As I told U in the beginning it might be a little overkill to use a HX35 on a daily cruiser if u dont wanna work with ur car so often ? just an idea though.

Why not just do a simple RS2 upgrade ? there is plenty of parts here
          FEEL THE DIFFERENCE

Comment

Originally posted by chipsenter View Post
            Stock internals manage 350 hp easy ! but wont push it over 400-420 though. can be risky and damn expensive

Just look at a Re-mapped Audi RS2 with stock turbo ? it works nice !

As I told U in the beginning it might be a little overkill to use a HX35 on a daily cruiser if u dont wanna work with ur car so often ? just an idea though.

Why not just do a simple RS2 upgrade ? there is plenty of parts here
            RS2 turbo be worse because it generates huge torque levels

Case in point run a 2871 on stock rods over 400 bhp it's fine with stock rods giving around 500nm torque

rs2 turbo under 400 bhp but is a rod bender due to low torque

Comment

Jamo we kill Jcarrics plans now ohoh.. It's a lot of things to have in mind during turbo swop , it's just not to change the Turbo and have fun u know.
              Anyway the stock internals from ADU is the same as the ABY , or have I missed something ? the different from high tourque levels might be the camshafts though . U get faster spool from the ABY camshafts vs the ADU but a not even comparable on high revs !
              FEEL THE DIFFERENCE

Comment

but noone has ever run an HX35 on a I5 engine before with a proper or modified hotside to see how soon the torque comes in. I would only assume later than the rs2 turbo,possibly around the 3500-3900rpm region.I would say that it is a safe turbo to run for the rods.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsenter View Post
                  Jamo we kill Jcarrics plans now ohoh.. It's a lot of things to have in mind during turbo swop , it's just not to change the Turbo and have fun u know.
                  Anyway the stock internals from ADU is the same as the ABY , or have I missed something ? the different from high tourque levels might be the camshafts though . U get faster spool from the ABY camshafts vs the ADU but a not even comparable on high revs !
                  Well, i actually have an AAN, but i believe everything is the same in them except for the cams. And the guy i bought it from said it had an RS2 exhaust cam in it already. I have checked this for myself yet, but i am going to soon when i do the timing belt.

As far as why i want the HX35 over the RS2 turbo:
                  First of all, i know all you European guys think us here in the states do things the cheap way. But i am trying to do this on a budget and the HX35 fits the bill the best.
                  The other reason why i like the HX35 over the RS2 is because not many people have done it, and i have a lot of room to grow with it. Eventually i am going to put new rods in it and want to run about 450whp, and this way i dont have to get a new turbo to do that.

When it comes to torque, im not looking to be able to burn all four tires or run it at the track constantly on stock rods. This is going to be more of a daily driver for now, which means it will not be pushed to its limits hardly at all

Comment

HX35 turbine exducer is (afaik always) ~60mm. Several different compressors are available.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by Jcarrick View Post
                      Well, i actually have an AAN, but i believe everything is the same in them except for the cams. And the guy i bought it from said it had an RS2 exhaust cam in it already. I have checked this for myself yet, but i am going to soon when i do the timing belt.

As far as why i want the HX35 over the RS2 turbo:
                      First of all, i know all you European guys think us here in the states do things the cheap way. But i am trying to do this on a budget and the HX35 fits the bill the best.
                      The other reason why i like the HX35 over the RS2 is because not many people have done it, and i have a lot of room to grow with it. Eventually i am going to put new rods in it and want to run about 450whp, and this way i dont have to get a new turbo to do that.

When it comes to torque, im not looking to be able to burn all four tires or run it at the track constantly on stock rods. This is going to be more of a daily driver for now, which means it will not be pushed to its limits hardly at all

Dude ... I like what you say. Do it your way , !! thats the best and u can tell us about ur experience then

My brother had the same story to tell me, he has a budget Volvo 2.3 T 850 . this is a 5 cyl engine to . He bought a used Tractor Turbo actually from a John Deere . The Name of the Turbo is Schwitzer sk. (Borg warner) its a big and clumsy turbo looks like a big washing machine ... Everybody told him , no no no no.. LAG LAG LAG !! but nobody actually knew the spec. With a Inducer at 48 and exducer at 60 he got full push between 3500-3700 rpms !! I can tell u my Audi with the Netics Super 60 was parked from low rpms. !!

Go for it , Truck Turbos is the **** !
                      FEEL THE DIFFERENCE

Comment

My brother had the same story to tell me, he has a budget Volvo 2.3 T 850 . this is a 5 cyl engine to . He bought a used Tractor Turbo actually from a John Deere . The Name of the Turbo is Schwitzer sk. (Borg warner) its a big and clumsy turbo looks like a big washing machine ... Everybody told him , no no no no.. LAG LAG LAG !! but nobody actually knew the spec. With a Inducer at 48 and exducer at 60 he got full push between 3500-3700 rpms !! I can tell u my Audi with the Netics Super 60 was parked from low rpms. !!

Go for it , Truck Turbos is the **** !
                        very true if you want to do something do it be different we all have knowledge from the forums but until we try will we have all the unanswered questions!!

Comment

Chipsenter,
                          Thats awesome about your brother Volvo! I love doing things ot of the ordinary on cars and that is a perfect example of it!

I appreciate backing me up on my plans. I know I don't know everything, but I'm sure I can make this work great. I just want to make sure that my power goals are ok on stock internals, you know?

But I can see that 350whp is not to much to ask for on my stock setup for now

Comment

ur welcome Keep it up ,learn by doing we all do .

Btw , the setup on the volvo .
                            Home made exhaust manifold, Rosenqrantz WG 50mm , 3" Dp , Ferritta Exhaust 3", Large IC. 3" boost pipes, re-mapped by turbocenter, stock bosch ecu, 550cc injectors,H-beam rods,Schwitzer turbo unknown s.nr?
                            dyno results on 1.8 kg boost = 489 whp

Johan

Originally posted by Jcarrick View Post
                            Chipsenter,
                            Thats awesome about your brother Volvo! I love doing things ot of the ordinary on cars and that is a perfect example of it!

I appreciate backing me up on my plans. I know I don't know everything, but I'm sure I can make this work great. I just want to make sure that my power goals are ok on stock internals, you know?

But I can see that 350whp is not to much to ask for on my stock setup for now
                            FEEL THE DIFFERENCE

Comment

chipsenter,
                              Now when you say H-Beam rods, does that include putting new rings and bearing in it, or are you just using the stock ones?

Comment

The Pro 52 is a 67/98 MFS impeller with an HX50 bearing housing & turbine with 16cm^2 hotside AFAIK.
                                Eklund had a HX60 on his first engine for the 100 S4.

Edit: Someone on Supraforums states
                                Pro52 has 70mm inducer and 99mm exducer compressor, 70mm exhaust wheel and a 16cm^2 exhaust housing which is around 1.1A/R
                                Last edited by quattro84; 28 March 2010, 22:11.

Comment

Working...
                                X