Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radiator fan running constantly (S2 -93)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you turn on aircon, it triggers the radiator fan to run as a way to help airflow over the condenser.

In very cold temperatures a thermal switch prevents the aircon from being activated due to risk of damage from pipes freezing on the low pressure / low temp side of the system.

What you describe is normal behaviour... it is good to run the aircon in the winter when you can as it keeps the system lubricated, but the control system is such that it fails safe (off) in very cold weather.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Hmm i dont think it is normal, or perhaps we dont undersant each other right
      Problem is, that my radiator fun start runing when i turn keys (give contact) and ventilation is on. No mather if A/C is on or off. But if i turn ventilaton completly off, radiator fun stop working. It also stop working if i pull relay under dash out (relay for after run pump....)
      Furhermore i dont have gas in my A/C so it can not star anyway

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
      When you turn on aircon, it triggers the radiator fan to run as a way to help airflow over the condenser.

In very cold temperatures a thermal switch prevents the aircon from being activated due to risk of damage from pipes freezing on the low pressure / low temp side of the system.

What you describe is normal behaviour... it is good to run the aircon in the winter when you can as it keeps the system lubricated, but the control system is such that it fails safe (off) in very cold weather.
      Audi Coupe S2 1993
      Audi V8 4.2 1993
      Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

OHHH - in that case either your TCP relay is maybe faulty or something is messed up with wiring in that area...

Do you have manual a/c or climate control with digital head-unit ?
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

i have digital a/c

i am thinkinig the same, TCH and i hope wiring are ok ......
          Could bad sensors on wather rail causes this too?
          Could you give me any tips how to check signals on TCP connector under dash panel ?

Thanks

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
          OHHH - in that case either your TCP relay is maybe faulty or something is messed up with wiring in that area...

Do you have manual a/c or climate control with digital head-unit ?
          Audi Coupe S2 1993
          Audi V8 4.2 1993
          Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

anyone
            Audi Coupe S2 1993
            Audi V8 4.2 1993
            Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

Hi Valjo

The under dash "relay" it's actually an ECU for the afterrun system that controls also the working time (10mins max)

The MFS switch on the water rail could give you problem for the AC but AFAIK it's not in any way related to the fan system.

I had problems similar to yours (fan always on at 1st speed) and it was the under dash realy/ecu faulty.

It worth a check to the fan 1st speed relay on the fusebox also (top far left side if I remember well)

Stefano
              http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

Good afternoon all, I have a similar problem but before I get too carried away is anyone monitoring this post please?
                Rgds, Julian

Comment

Always
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

S2 coupe, quattro, non A/C
                    The car is a 93 model but 92 registration with the ABY engine and six speed box, imported from Holland a few months ago and awaiting registration here in Portugal. Apart from a stage 2 turbo kit giving 270 bhp the car is original with just 64,500 kms on the clock. Haven't been able to use it much, still has Dutch plates so this fault came out of the blue.
                    It was sitting in the garage, locked with no key in the ignition and the radiator fan kicked in for just a few minutes then stopped. A few weeks later I heard the fan cut in (no keys, locked) but this time just kept running until it dragged the battery down when the fan stopped and the fuel pump kicked in! Had to disconnect the battery and charge it, left on trickle but as soon as it was reconnected the fan kicked in straight away.
                    Sounds very much like the car described above, does anyone know the part number of the relay please? Feel free to post any other ideas that you may have!
                    Regards, Julian
                    Last edited by S2 Portugal; 16 January 2024, 13:30.

Comment

You need a new 324 relay, under the steering wheel on rhd car. Part number 447965571a. They pop up second hand now and again but might have the same fault. There is a zender diode inside that fails and they can be repaired. The diode is pence but you need to be good at soldering to fit it.
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-new-324/page3
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Good afternoon Dave, thank you for the help so far; I think we are narrowing it down!

Here are a couple of photos, I think it's relay no 214 at the front. All in German on the fuse box cover but translates to "cooling air fan stage 1"
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

No. It's not that one. It's the one in the kick panel under the dash. Relay 324 as I stated above
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I did have the same problem, Stopped the car and locked and the fan stayed on, I removed the 214 and it stopped and reinstalled the 214 and it never happned again.

Comment

Good afternoon Dave,
                                Thank you so much, I have found the relay and pulling it out cures the overun, will now source a new one!
                                As you said it was under the steering column, a point to note on a LHD car is that it's in exactly the same position but on the other side of the car.
                                Last edited by S2 Portugal; 25 January 2024, 10:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X