Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure issues

Common subject but I need advice:

New built engine (stoker) and with low quality 10-40 oil an now with mobil 1 5w-50 still I get 0.8 bar at idle with warm engine. At 1500 rpm I have 1.8 bar and so on.

Is it common on new engines?
    What should I check?
    Can it be that further use the pressure will rise or is it something else?
    Can it be that the sender is faulty?
    Should I go to thicker oil like 10w-60?

Regards

Vasilis
    Go Holset or Go RS4

Buy a good 10-60 or 20-60,I have been running valvoline 10-60 never see less than 2bar that with 35c out doors, Repo recomends the motul 20-60c which I will give a go on my next change

W
    RS 2 580HP

Comment

is it not too thick for a new engine with daily use?
      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

What pressure do you see on a cold start? Giving your problem and the old sensor i would replace it or connect an external pressure sensor to the block and see what reading you get. A second hand unit will do just to confirm if your problem is real or not.

I recently changed a sensor in my 7A that went faulty and the replacement reads 1bar higher when warm so i wouldnt trust them personally, not the most accurate gauge in the world.
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

is the cyl head newbuilt as well? reconditioned or anything like that?

a new engine with new oil pump shouldnt need 10W60

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
            is it not too thick for a new engine with daily use?
            i had the same problem, when i installed an old style kkk turbo. i changed to ball bearing, resolve the problem.
            --------------------------------------------------------
            Real carbon parts for S2 and RS2. Check Carbondesign on facebook

Comment

aaaaha

good point!

what is the size that the holset oil inlet has? I remember my mechanic mentioning that he had the inlet slightly reduced in size to overcome that problem with oil being low on pressure because of the turbo having large diameter tubes!

Comment

The head is used item but with 3 angle job ect.

The holset turbo has a small reducer in it as well. On cold engine i see 3-4 bars at idle (these days it is very hot so the water temp ect i.e. today and the engine bay was 55 degrees).
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Yes holsets flow lots of oil. How small is the restriction. I would change the sensor too. What oil cooler are you using. Did you measure bearing clearence at the crank.

Comment

Never ever run Mobil 1 of any grade on a turbo car you may aswell put semi synth 10w40 in it. Mobil1 is complete cr4p.
                    UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                      Yes holsets flow lots of oil. How small is the restriction. I would change the sensor too. What oil cooler are you using. Did you measure bearing clearence at the crank.
                      I dont recall it from the top of my head. I am using stock oil cooler and the machine shop did measured the clearances and said it is ok and within specs.

I drove approx 100kms with the new engine and except the oil thing everything seems and sounds ok!
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by RWD19T View Post
                        Never ever run Mobil 1 of any grade on a turbo car you may aswell put semi synth 10w40 in it. Mobil1 is complete cr4p.
                        I drove it with my old engine without issues and used because Heinz Lehmann that built the S1 and imsa series recommend it for the I5.
                        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

issues with oil pressure on a new engine are never a matter of used oil...
                          [__]=oooo=[__]

Comment

Still trying to source tthe low oil pressure issue I now have 1.1 at warm engine at idle (1000-1050 RPM).

I removed the pressure relief sponge from the old rs2 pump and the diesel one and noticed that the rs2 spring seems harder and there is an additional washer there. In the next days I am going to remove the sprin from the pump I am using now and see if there's a difference.

Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

The strength of the pressure relief spring will never affect your idle oil pressure and only affect the max oil pressure you see.

That said, if the plunger at the end of the spring is sticking open with swarf jamming it from the engine rebuild then that would give you low pressure at idle.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X