Non-starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-starting

Previous problem thought i ran out of fuel but i t turns out i have no spark and no injector pulse. This is either ecu or crank sensor i assume. Would it fire if theres a fault code on the ecu. Help anybody please still stuck in pub car park. Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Greenm3
    Previous problem thought i ran out of fuel but i t turns out i have no spark and no injector pulse. This is either ecu or crank sensor i assume. Would it fire if theres a fault code on the ecu. Help anybody please still stuck in pub car park. Thanks for any help.
    See if you can hear the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition. If not, this together with no spark at the plugs could well mean the Hall Sender is kaput. Sometimes when this fails, if you leave it for half an hour and try again it might fire up!!!

Good luck!
    95 S2 Avant Ming Blue - now gone and sorley missed:cry:
    2001 B5 RS4 Santorin Blue - MRC'd - now here:chit:
    88 Ur MB Quattro -Pearl White - The daddy!:cool:

Classic S2 Avant billboard ad - "My other car's a Porsche, but today I'm in a hurry"

Comment

could be a knock sensor, i know one counts teeth, and the other counts a notch and one of them tells something else where tdc is you can test these with a multi meter, i had a simalar problem but forgot alot of the info i was told as you can guess!! have you tried bump starting?

Comment

does your car turn over? if it turns, then my guess would be fuel pump.
        if it doesn't turn over, my guess is camshaft position sensor or ignition switch.

good luck!
        Joe "NoNonsense"
        axis motorsport
        joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

My fuel pump is getting noisy, and i have had a quote for £65 all in for an original Bosch item from VolksRange in Stockton. Its also on the to do list.
          Graham
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Graham
            My fuel pump is getting noisy, and i have had a quote for £65 all in for an original Bosch item from VolksRange in Stockton. Its also on the to do list.
            Graham
            better to be safe than sorry Graham. is your fuel pump within the tank in the S2...if so, keep lots of fuel in there, it keeps the pump cooler and it will last longer!
            Joe "NoNonsense"
            axis motorsport
            joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

right...sorry for my half wit brother who was relaying messages while i was in the car park, went from bad to worse the recovery company baisically ripped the front bumper off whilst towing it onto the lorry. I'm not going to do anything about it cause my insurance premium is too good at the moment to dent!
              Cant be crack position sensor....its a 3B duh!
              Martyn at vag parts a big thankyou for advise over the telephone....will check those sensors and the dizzy when it stops raining.
              Any more advice would be helpful from the guru's!
              Thanks
              Michael

Comment

Cant be crack position sensor....its a 3B duh!
                sorry...i have the 2.8L V6 and both my sensors went at different times, that's why i ask.
                Joe "NoNonsense"
                axis motorsport
                joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsense
                  sorry...i have the 2.8L V6 and both my sensors went at different times, that's why i ask.
                  I meant me being dumb...not you...When i said cam position sensor i was just relaying what Mr RAC said and he bu**ered off in 5 min cause he didnt have a clue...

Comment

I meant me being dumb...not you...When i said cam position sensor i was just relaying what Mr RAC said and he bu**ered off in 5 min cause he didnt have a clue...
                    no worries!
                    Joe "NoNonsense"
                    axis motorsport
                    joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

Our cars don't have a priming sequence for the fuel pressure.

Take the dizzy cap out. I bet the rotor won't turn and you have a broken plastic drive gear..
                      Or the the hall sender..

Could be also a dead fuel pump, fuel pump relay or dodgy immo wiring.
                      -

Comment

Well its not the fuel pump cos i got sprayed with fuel nastily....she will crank over on the starter motor its just theres no spark and no injector signal......will up date on this tomorrow having had a look at the sensors and the dizzy....
                        night...and thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by WabTheKing
                          could be a knock sensor, i know one counts teeth, and the other counts a notch and one of them tells something else where tdc is you can test these with a multi meter, i had a simalar problem but forgot alot of the info i was told as you can guess!! have you tried bump starting?

Uhhhh NO - knock sensors detect knock dude - they don't count teeth. Methinks you are referring to G4 and G28. The crank position sensor and the crank speed sensor. Both of these need to be healthy - along with the G40 - the camshaft position (hall) sensor.

Bump starting is pure folly. Won't make a difference.

Paul
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Porkkis is onto it... Only other thing I would add (as its a 3B) is the coil and HT lead from that to the dissy.

Long shot is a mightily shifted cambelt which means the camshafts (and dissy) are out of position - the ECU won't be happy with that.

A simple DVM will find the fault, but if its G4, G28 or G40 the ECU should also throw up fault codes that will save time.
                            Paul Nugent
                            Webmaster http://S2central.net
                            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

When a similar problem happened on mine it turned out to be the crank position sensor, but it was the bit it measures on the flywheel (is it a peg that sticks out or something?) that was broken not the actual sensor. without this working the ecu doesn't send a spark so nothing works. this took me ages to diagnose.

bit of a last resort though.

Comment

Working...
                              X