This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Belt too big???

Hi, my mechanic is having a problem getting the correct timming belt. On the box of the new belt on the box it says Audi S2 1990-1995. This belt has 147 teeth and according to im should have 146 teeth. so it is too big. Any suggestions or information??

AFAIK S2 belt is 151 teeth. What engine is it?
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

From previous research:

The 3B (90-91) has 147 teeth, ABY (92-96) has 151 teeth. RS2 has 150 teeth.
      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by quicktrick View Post
        Hi, my mechanic is having a problem getting the correct timming belt. On the box of the new belt on the box it says Audi S2 1990-1995. This belt has 147 teeth and according to im should have 146 teeth. so it is too big. Any suggestions or information??
        This topic came up last week on my home forum, quattroworld. I talked to my friend Kate and searched this forum for answers. This is what I came up with:

"The OE timing belt for the the 3B, AAN and ABY is 054109119H, with 151 teeth. According the the S2 forum, the ADU timing belt has 3 fewer teeth (i.e. it is shorter), i.e. 148 teeth. (For reference, the The 7A timing belt has 147 teeth). ADU water pump has 26 teeth. The AAN and ABY water pump has 29 teeth (just counted the one I took out last year). This implies the number of teeth on the TB relates directly to the number teeth on the water pump."

Hope that helps.
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
          From previous research:
          Thanks Ross, you made me re-check the 3B belt. According to my friend Kate (whom I am sure told me something else last week), the timing belt for the NM, 7A and 3B is 054109119G "toothed belt" "147 Z." (147 teeth). The ABY does have the 054109119H *EDIT: H not G!!* 151 tooth timing belt.
          Last edited by UrS4boy; 18 August 2011, 16:47.

Comment

Thx sure this will help

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
              From previous research:

Correct, I had all 3 when I was looking for a belt for the stroker

sigpic
              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                Thanks for posting that photo. My friend Kate claims she doesn't know how many teeth on a 034109119C RS2 timing belt (I thought 148 based on 26 teeth on the RS2 water pump (vs 29 on the AAN/ABY)). But that photo clearly shows 150. I am stealing that photo to share. Hope you don't mind (I will give you credit).

Dave F.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  Thanks for posting that photo. My friend Kate claims she doesn't know how many teeth on a 034109119C RS2 timing belt (I thought 148 based on 26 teeth on the RS2 water pump (vs 29 on the AAN/ABY)). But that photo clearly shows 150. I am stealing that photo to share. Hope you don't mind (I will give you credit).

Dave F.
                  Help yourself, I thought it may come in useful at some point
                  sigpic
                  1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                  1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                  1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Help yourself, I thought it may come in useful at some point
                    Thanks very much. Here it is:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/131710.phtml

Comment

Ditto!

Comment

Should we stick this the information seems particularly important, or is this captured elsewhere?
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic
                        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

So guys, The 147 teeth belt is supposed to be the right one for my 3B, but somehow it should be a 146. I even went there myself and counted the old belt three times 146. Now I can not find such a belt. Somehow along the line something has changed. Me and 3 mechanics is now out of suggestions.

http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/...t%3Dphoto2.jpg
                          http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/...t%3Dphoto3.jpg
                          http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/...t%3Dphoto4.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by quicktrick View Post
                            This has been mentioned in a previous thread on here and it wont make any difference... excess teeth after the cam timing gear should not be a problem as the cam/pump tensioner should be able to adjust enough with one extra tooths length. The timing will not be thrown out by one extra tooth as the main factor is the distance from crank pulley to the camshaft pulley - this will not be affected once it is tensioned.
                            Put it on and do not start the engine rotate the engine manually several times and it will still line up with all the timing marks. Crucify me if I'm wrong boys!!!

Comment

I agree with Chezz for a different reason, the car is suppose to have a 147 teeth belt on it in the 1st place so why would you want to put 146 one back on that is clearly non audi or for your car?

Comment

Working...
                              X