This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    so Automark are the only UK based tuners left now?
    When did MRC stop doing live maps, i thought they recently did Angus's? i could be wrong...

Oh and before it all starts Automark will use the N75 if you tell him its your preference....

Comment

What a load of b*llcks. MRC just live mapped my car, and there are a couple of recent videos on the MRC youtube channel of other 5 cylinder cars.

As long as there's demand I'm sure they will continue.
      Angus

(1984 ur quattro)

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
        I'll try to get the tooling going in Spring, so I can have fast logging and other goodies on 3B...
        I can live map them, yes...
        finally

Comment

Originally posted by URquattroGus View Post
          What a load of b*llcks. MRC just live mapped my car, and there are a couple of recent videos on the MRC youtube channel of other 5 cylinder cars.

If you read the thread, then Andy quoted Doug on this.
          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by URquattroGus View Post

Doug just told me they do not live map them any more as I asked for a price to get my 3B done as it will need done once the new turbo is on.

Asking about my 3b

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
            hi andy,

I am afraid we don't map these cars anymore.

doug
            Asked about my aby instead.

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
            All s2/rs2s

I think PRJ explained it

From what I have heard from a few people, who have recently talked to them, the issue is also, that these cars are broken all the time, and most of the time is spent fixing problems, not mapping.

Something that I can confirm from my experience.

The money in chip tuning is from bringing as many Stage 1 tunes to market for as many new cars as possible.
            From a money making perspective, mapping project cars is mostly a waste of money. It is only good as advertising to drive more business...

I am pretty sure almost any S2 MRC do is actually a loss of profit (even at the rates they charge), as they could be doing something else that would bring in more.

This is looking at it purely from a cash flow perspective, leaving heart out of it
            They have mapped your car, JPs, Wills, and a few others recently I understood. I guess they may be happy to map cars they know are maintained properly or friends

And another view

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
            S2's in general, i know will20v and rwd19t had a remap recently I think the issue is the timings of co-ordinating it with Mihnea UK visits.
            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Yes that all makes sense. The real money is in the plethorah of more modern cars.

I think the Dizzy puts people off the 3B mapping a bit? risk of problems etc...

Also there are some sheddy 20V cars out there that have plenty of faults that can waste time (although this time would be charged)
              Angus

(1984 ur quattro)

Comment

Not such a long time ago this was MRC. http://chips-ur-s.com/Entrance.html

They've done well and it's a business they are running. As previously mentioned, it mainly due to Mik's availability and the fact they would loose money on most S2's.
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Thats not MRC in Banbury but a company in the US.

Here's a quote from one of their American customers. "From AR in California (Stage 2 upgrade): "The MRC chip made a huge difference in my S4's performance. But I am even more impressed with the great, personal service Bob gives to his customers."

Comment

oops!

Strange coincidence with the name? Perhaps Mik trades as Bob in the US

and....I'm sure I have an old MRC sticker from Mik that looks just like the logo on this page. Mik used to go over to the US tuning quite a bit, perhaps there's some history between the two?
                    91 Modded 3B
                    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

maybe thats Mihneas name in the US. It is like the representatives of Chinese company's...they all have English names like Felicia, Lucy, Monica, Bob, George etc.

edit: you where faster!!!
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by epic View Post
                        Thats not MRC in Banbury but a company in the US.

Here's a quote from one of their American customers. "From AR in California (Stage 2 upgrade): "The MRC chip made a huge difference in my S4's performance. But I am even more impressed with the great, personal service Bob gives to his customers."
                        I think this is incorrect. I was under the impression that these are generic Mihnea chips sold through a distributor to the US market. You will notice that there's a link from that page to MRC's main UK website!

I'm sure Dave or another US member will correct me if I'm wrong!
                        '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Do you have another UK visit scheduled Dmitri?
                          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                            Do you have another UK visit scheduled Dmitri?
                            Not firmly yet, but I am sure there will be at least one within the next 6 months.
                            http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Not firmly yet, but I am sure there will be at least one within the next 6 months.

Also SPAIN? I know at least 3 cars for you....

And the police here is missing you
                              RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                              BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                              LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

As a general rule of thumb it is my understanding MRC are no longer doing the I5's purely as they are spending their time diagnosing faults instead of mapping. If someone turns up with all new components and everything working functioning a 100% it becomes do able.

Both will and myself have a working relationship with Mihnea which obviously helps. Likewise we run our own seperate boost control and our cars are ensured to be a 110% before we even consider hassling him so it literally becomes a drive in drive out experience where he has to concentrate solely on fuel and timing. No boost pressure testing, no trying to figure out why something is not working, zt2's plumbed in with afr, egt, tps, psi, rpm, maf etc....

Also both cars have existing maps on them that only ever require tweaking as opposed to a full map from scratch all little things that make it doable.

Unfortunately our cars are getting older and electronic components less and less reliable. 3 of the 4 recent cars before mine needed ecu's swapping out or n75's replacing or maf's. However for some reason customers think that the mapping prices includes spending the day to try and find these problems. With a modern car you plug in the laptop and go a there is a problem. With the older cars it's a lot more hit and miss. Which is why so many businesses move onto modern cars.

At the end of the day the older cars get the more affordable it becomes for the hobbiest to do it themselves. The same reason I only ever work on race series engines of older cheaper cars like the mk2 golf's as there is no way of earning a living of that genre of vehicle. Same applies to mappers so take advantage of their services whilst still available and don't take them for granted by at least making sure everything is a 100% before going for a map. It will keep them enthusiastic working with old technology.
                                UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Working...
                                X