No announcement yet.

billet wheels on rs2 turbos...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a company in Florida USA that makes them for porsche guys.
    1981 URQuattro with the TIAL GT35r.
    2007 Infinity g35

Comment

Are you able to just ship the compressor wheel for the K24-7200 RS2 turbo?
      So we can have it rebuilt over here?
      Or is there other modifications required?
      Audi Nut!!!

Comment

IT is a big question I have been asked. I have to profile the new wheel profile to the compressor cover, as well as bore the back plate out to fit the bigger exducer. We are VSR balancing the CHRA's, so that is also a negative aspect of sending just the wheel.
        2007 Infinity g35

Comment

We should have companies in UK who can do all that, I know one in the midlands that would be interested in doing it for a decent price for members

Comment

Have you got a direct comparison between RS2, RS2 billet and k26 billet that you can post up, would be very useful to see them on the same graph
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

A Finnish company offers same kind of billet upgrades. They might be worth considering for people this side of the pond and especially inside the EU for taxation purposes alone.
              No english version I'm afraid
              http://www.fin-turbo.fi/index.php?id=46
              Google "translation"
              http://translate.google.com/translat...d%3D46&act=url

They have already made at least one hybrid that I know of. It's based on a 55mm K26#6 (Audi 10v) turbine using a t04e-50 size billet compressor. I haven't mapped it yet, but preliminary tests are very promising. 1 bar at around 2800 rpm on 4th in otherwise std aan. Old K27-3070G compressor on same hotside will spool some 1000 rpm later...
              Melett aftermarket 3070G comp housing can be used as a starting point with the billet 54mm btw.

I guess they also sell the compressor wheels if you ask them. fin-turbo@fin-turbo.fi

I have no connection to the company.
              -

Comment

This topic is great. I have 7200 wainting to be rebuild so maybe it will get new billet wheel

Please sign me in if there's any group or european action with this.

Cheers,
                Pawel.

Comment

to4e-50 would be a 3076r size compressor wheel, and much more compressor than the #6 hotside could ever dream of handling in full k26 trim, much less on the smaller rs2 turbine wheel. The k27 is actually pretty similar to to a t04e-54 for reference with the same exducer as the 50 trim but 1mm bigger on the inducer. THe 25 year old k27 comrpessor wheel already is enough to max out the #6 hotside. Putting a billet version with far better aero is going in the wrong direction. It will spool fairly well and have great low boost numbers, but higher pressure ratios will result in crazy back pressure and the need to pull timing to keep EGT's in check. They will drop off dramatically on the top end.

These turbos we make/sell are not intended to be dyno queen turbos. They are maximizing the current turbines in the rs2 and k26 with #6 hotsides. My modeling shows that the k26 #6 hotside with a 54.5mm turbine will a corrected turbine gas flow of around 18.5lb/min at 2.5PR for the k26 and 16.5lb/min for the rs2. We chose a compressor wheel that would match well with those turbine outputs. They have great driveability due to great compressor wheel matching. Transient response is awesome with them. They will make the most power under the curve to ANY hybrid k26 based turbo out there.

A lot of modeling, FEA analysis, prototyping, testing, repeating, and finally offering has happened to bring these to the market. A little more than a sweep, extrusion, and radial pattern!! These turbos were designed to be the maximum compressor a stock rod 2.2L 5cylinder could handle. A k27 hybrid may make more peak power, but only momentarily. These match very well to stock cams, stock heads, even stock exhausts. 100% plug and play, including all boost hoses and connections. Completely and utterly undetectable by any MOT or DOT, even if they have an eye for performance. There is not easier or cheaper way to make 420 crank hp on the 20v.
                  2007 Infinity g35

Comment

Dammit Hank.

You are just messing up project goals/options
                    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Nice Hank, how do your models work out for High & Low cycle fatigue?

Just kidding, i appreciate your dedication to make this work.
                      But what SW do you use to simulate it? How many iterations did it take to find this result? Sure you can copy geometry from leading manufacturers such as Holset/CTT to find optimum angle of attack for blade tip etc.

Comment

Anyone fitted one of these yet?
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Tonks has one "fitted" don't think the engine is in the bay yet. There is another guy from the s2 forum who fitted one: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=302

there are others as well that i dont know their screen names here.

There are many many many people in the US running them.

Comment

Unfortunately I didn't have chance to pop in when we passed through Vegas... next time eh. I'm happy with my K26/7 hybrid at present but I am interested to get a comparison of one of these units! Ideally the K26.

I've got something that was made by matching the best available wheel for the application (400-420hp with spool as close to RS2 as possible as a direct stock replacement). What I'd hoped for was something designed and manufactured to this spec but such was not available at the time.

Hopefully when someone is running one over here we can get them on the same dyno and see how the graphs look. I'd expect similar figures, perhaps slightly better top end, and better spool on Hank's turbo, not by much but probably enough to make me consider upgrading it!
                            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

It's a real shame nobody makes a billet 27 wheel. Svensk Turboservice had some but they've all been sold and they have no plans to get more....
                              91 Modded 3B
                              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I'm interested in what the K26 would be like compared to the current RS2 I have. Bolt-on is important to me, as I've got everything else designed around the RS2 turbo and don't want the expense of upgrading or the hassle of having to worry about clearance.
                                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                                X