Afterun pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afterun pump

After a good run last night I thought I'd have a look under the bonnet, it was pitch dark except for the glow of the turbo which was impressively transparent This led me to think about the the little pump that's supposed to run cooling water round the turbo bearings after you switch off the engine, I listened but couldn't hear anything whirring, does this pump make a noise when its running? Is there a test to be sure that it does work?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Cant you touch the pump with your hand to feel if it is vibrating?
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Pull the 2 clips off the temp sensor on the water manifold - it is the one at teh fron of th emanifold - short them together - you can use a blade fuse for that - then everytime you switch off the ignition it will run for 8ish minutes - it is a good test - but if you do short journeys it kills the battery.

You could disconnect the fan just for one test of this - so you can here the pump - was the fan even running?

A switch in parrallel with the temp switch would be a good way to use it when you wanted, but it would also always work with the temp sensor.

HTH
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Yep the fan was running alright but it was really dark, so I couldn't see the pump, didn't have a torch with me, just driven to Portsmouth and back and only arrived back from Jakarta at 5.30 that mormning so I was knackered..

Glow from turbo was impressive tho

Thats a cool tip though, I'll try that.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Ah turbo glow is good. Nothing better than looking at a hot turbo, cos you know you have just been having some fun
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Apparently if you're quick you can see the rotor spinning through the metal ...

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Sheesh! The front sensor on the water manifold is hard to get at Is there a relay or another way to trigger the pump?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X