RS2 starting from cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 starting from cold

My Rs sometimes take a couple of tries to start from cold, befor it finally catches.
    Any idea's?
    CAr has a full ASH, & 82,000 miles.

Darren

Does it splutter when it does eventually start?? Any smoke from the exhaust?? (black or blue)
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
      Does it splutter when it does eventually start?? Any smoke from the exhaust?? (black or blue)
      No, it's ok. No spluttering & no smoke.

Comment

Is your battery OK ? It could be just turning a bit too slowly in the cold weather, as its low on charge through age or lack of use (like mine)

I leave mine on a battery conditioner now to keep it topped up and it always starts fine (crossed fingers).

If it is spinning OK, then it could be an immobilser not disarming?
        Dave

ex-Ragusa Green RS2

Comment

Check coolant temp sender. The one in the back of the cyl. head. Details are on www.S2central.net IIRC
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Hall sender? Mine fails to start sometimes when HOT. I peel back the cambelt cover, pour in some Evian onto the hall sender and it starts!!! yeeehaaa
            1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
            Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

When my hall sender started to fail it was only when hot, but after 3 months of pouring water over it the trick didnt seem to be as effective, even when cold it would refuse to start. Oh yea and mine preferred buxton mineral water from the works water cooler !

darreni get the fault codes checked if it is hall sender it will register a code like mine did.
              DAVIDP20V - 95' Polar Silver RS2 standard 315 bhp, forge diverter valve, Mark H mod and boost gauge..... and shes for sale.

Comment

I have the same problem on hot starts, I have to step my foot on the gas. After that, it starts. Hallsender is the same as oxygen sensor ???
                S2 Limo sold !!!
                M5 E34 with some mods in the garage
                sorry, but much happeir now !

Comment

Hall sender is camshaft position sender: located behind camshaft pulley on ABY/ADU. Oxygen sensor is different.

@David, Sparkling or still?
                  1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                  Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

OPs ... thanks
                    S2 Limo sold !!!
                    M5 E34 with some mods in the garage
                    sorry, but much happeir now !

Comment

Working...
                    X