ABY Engine Front Pulley & Harmonic Balancer - AC & non AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY Engine Front Pulley & Harmonic Balancer - AC & non AC

I'm looking at doing some work on the engine where I'll be removing the front pulley to replace the sprocket. IIRC, the front pulley is specific to AC and non AC cars, so I'm wondering if it's worth replacing my 3 belt AC one with a 2 belt non AC one, maybe to save some weight!

Has anyone seen these next to each other?

Are the harmonic dampers the same?

Anyone got a non AC one that they want to swap or sell?
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Some info about AAN vs. ABY - linky.
    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Looking on the family almbum, there is only one part listed for the ABY / ADU -

034 105 251 M - Damper
      054 105 255 E - Pulley
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

All I can say is that my '96 ABY supplied from the factory without A/C still came with the 3 belt crank pulley for A/C fitted.

John

Comment

That seems to tally with the information above.

Wonder if Dave has any information on this, although with the ABY / ADU not making it to NA, it may not be something that he's investigated.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Updated 20V inline 5 vibration damper info

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Wonder if Dave has any information on this, although with the ABY / ADU not making it to NA, it may not be something that he's investigated.
            I have investigated the AAN 054105251J damper and it is exclusive to the AAN and AAR. Likewise the 054105255A pulley (AAN and AAR only). (Items 3 and 3A in the diagram below). As for the ABY and ADU, they share the 034105251M vibration damper (Item 3) and the 054105255E multi-vee pulley (Item 3A). The 3B has a combined Item 3 damper and single v-belt pulley (no separate Item 3A), PN 034105251G. The NM and 7A use a similar but somehow different combined damper and single v-belt pulley, PN 034105251C. HTH.

I've added the NM, 7A, 3B, ABY and ADU info to my previous harmonic damper post.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/157639.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I was looking at the front pulley on my ABY engine the other day and really wanted to cut it back to just one vbelt groove and fit a vbelt alternator pulley to fit a better intercooler in my 90Q. I was wondering if its possible to swap one from another 5cylinder possibly non turbo car with a shorter front pulley as well. I already have a WR flywheel and it doesnt seem to have imballanced it much(to the naked eye anyway, a pound coin still ballances on the cam cover on its edge)

Comment

If you want more room fit an AAN front pulley, it is much shorter than the others.
                As far as I know and have seen all the others have 3 belt positions, either 3 standard
                V belt or 2 V belt and one multi V belt. The AAN just has one big multi V.

Comment

Working...
                X