How strong is an s2 engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How strong is an s2 engine?

I know this must be asked 1000 times but Do s2 engines go bang after 100k mileage?

I dont want to buy an s2 and then after 1 trip it goes pop and i know it will cost a fortune to fix!

Cheers

Dog
    ON THE SEARCH FOR THE FOUR RINGS

Most 5 cylinder turbo engines are very strong(audi/volvo). I know someone in the netherlands that has a chip tuned audi s2 with over 400.000 km's. During our latest meeting we had a RR test, when this car was tetsted it gave still over 280 hp!!
    Getting everything sorted out for my 5++ hp project

Comment

Stuff will wear out eventually (like turbos) but generally they are bullet proof if serviced well.

I met a guy with an S6 (100 shape) which is basically the same engine as an S2. Mine had 55k on it and his had 250k. His actually sounded smoother than mine
      Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

i have a audi 200 TQA with 300000 km,and the engine does NOT consum oil at all.no leaks either.the gearbox works well to.

Comment

I stipped my 3B engine after 125,000 miles. It had 1 thou of wear on the bores Many owners on the Audi forums have massive mileage on thier motors. The important factor is frequent oil changes with a good quality oil.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I bought mine with 120k on the clock. I then gave it 370bhp on the same engine, this lasted for about a year. Left in chipped or stock form they will do 180k without too much hassle.
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

yep 164k miles on mine and only now is the (first and only) clutch is starting to slip, the last 18months its had a homefry on it.

In stock form 220/230bhp is not going to stress it, they are built to handle much more than that so providing you can find evidence of a caring keeper, you can be confident it should be fine over 100K miles.

As has been said on here many times, the key is a pile of receipts rather than a service book with Audi stamps in it.

Good luck searching

David
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Like a lot of things, depends how it is treated, warm that oil, the first 2 mins of the engine rotating is critical especially if its a cold day, thats why on performance engines we get oil pressure and oil temp gauges.

BAzz

Comment

Some people kill that engine yeach 7-10K km. :-)

If serviced well and hasn't been in hends of psycho than even on 200 000km(mine for example) should work good.
                  Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Working...
                  X