engine weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoNonsense
    lol...it would be like the Flintsones-mobile...top speed of 12 mph on a good day.
    Save weight on parts but costly on shoes!
    Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Originally posted by Beetie
      Save weight on parts but costly on shoes!
      LOL
      Joe "NoNonsense"
      axis motorsport
      joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

ok, I've found some secure information on engine weights.
        The 2.8 V6 12V weighs in at a hefty 355 lbs. Since I have removed the compressor, I am still looking at 336 lbs worth of weight on the engine mounts.
        The 20vt on the other hand, as Martyn suggested, weighs in at a mere 215 lbs. I am not positive whether or not this includes the A/C compressor and turbo weight, but nontheless, a much lighter engine.
        I haven't found a solid figure on the all aluminum blocks of the 4.2L V8. I would guess that it is in the same range as the I5, perhaps even lighter. Not enough torque for my taste, though...not on a road racer that is!
        Next question would be whether or not the I5 can withstand the endurance of road racing. With the turbo and all, it produced a lot more heat than any naturally aspirated engine...perhaps a massive engine oil cooler with little pressure loss would solve that problem...or even a secondary oil cooler dedicated to the turbo would be ideal....
        Joe "NoNonsense"
        axis motorsport
        joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

Joe, the 215lbs is a block and head assembled with nothing bolted onto it, so yo need to add on the headers, clutch, flywheel etc... I have all the wieght info needed on blocks etc, give me 10 and I'll get the V8 weight
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

the old V8 4.2 engine (ABH 4.2) it weighs in at 429 lbs for an engine with:
            Both heads with cams and all valve train, this weight does not include any headers, or flywheel, any start or alt. or AC, so it's like a bare engine so to speak but with all internals fitted.
            Martyn
            -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
              the old V8 4.2 engine (ABH 4.2) it weighs in at 429 lbs for an engine with:
              Both heads with cams and all valve train, this weight does not include any headers, or flywheel, any start or alt. or AC, so it's like a bare engine so to speak but with all internals fitted.
              Thanks for the info Martyn! Either way, with headers, flywheel, and turbo, the 20vt should be sub-300 lbs.
              Joe "NoNonsense"
              axis motorsport
              joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

Working...
              X