Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper torque settings for 12.9 grade main bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pas, do you have experience with JE low tension oil control rings? They feel really suspicious. Have now tested 2 kits of rings. Next I will take all apart and measure everything.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
      Pas, do you have experience with JE low tension oil control rings? They feel really suspicious. Have now tested 2 kits of rings. Next I will take all apart and measure everything.
      You using JE pistons too? I hope mine is not rings as I really don't want to rebuild the engine again
      sigpic
      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
        You using JE pistons too? I hope mine is not rings as I really don't want to rebuild the engine again
        Yes, and my is definitely letting oil past the rings, but the reason can be the bores.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

The more I read about JEs the more I think they are just not suitable for use in a road engine! But I guess they are not designed as such, I am sure in terms of strength & lightness they are great, but I was put off by the seeminlgy massive clearances you need to run with them, hence I went with Wossner (which still use 3 x the clearance of the OE Mahles!)
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
            So, the stock main bolts(10.9 grade) torque specs are 48ft/lbs. ARP mains 65ft/lbs, but this can bend the main caps and press the clearance to zero.

So I suppose 12.9 grade bolts should be something between these? What would be the ideal sweetspot?
            Did you ever get an answer to the correct torque rating for 12.9 grade bolts?
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Looking at this web source, the torque spec for 12.9 grade bolts should be in the 80NM range.

https://www.wtools.com.tw/STANDARD-B...G-TORQUE.shtml
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post

Did you ever get an answer to the correct torque rating for 12.9 grade bolts?
                I ended up to keep the torque somwhere between the OE- and ARP-bolt settings. Just to keep it safe so the caps dont deform.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Did you find out about the oil problem ,, i have one engine with new valve guids ,, the dimensions were the sealing sits are to smal so i can turn the sealing with the finger . that engine realy burns oil . mostly filing the ex manifold after it stops ..

Comment

Working...
                  X