No announcement yet.

1991 S2 Coupe 3b ( Coolant Gauge Dead)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 S2 Coupe 3b ( Coolant Gauge Dead)

Hello to all here, i would appreciate some Help!!! My car was stood for 3 years, until recently, the Beast is now back on the road, its flying, no problems there, the problem, is the Temp Gauge, I have repaced MFTS Sensor, still dead, had dash out and tried another good gauge, still no joy!! checked wiring and replaced all terminals to MFTS ETC.
    Thermostat is opening and shutting ok, No Water Leaks etc etc, Looked at plenty of posts on here but still undecided what the issue actually is ???? I dont have Vag com or anything, so cannot check anything that way, had the car 8 years now with no issues like this?? Originally, when i started the car whilst garaged, the gauge kept showing daft readings, like one start up would be nothing, the next one would show quarter of a gauge or higher?? so i then checked terminals etc but no joy??
    Has anybody got any ideas?? Thanks in adavance guys.

gauges

Hi have you tried voltage stabilizer ,mine was acting up ,so took it off cleaned fork ends and hey presto it worked ,its worth a try

Comment

Hi. thanks for reply, do you mean that little three pronged unit held on the back of the instrument cluster with the screw attaching it ???

Comment

Yes

If its playing up then the fuel gauge will be reading wrong too.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Will check the info provided guys and update, thankyou

Comment

Audi S2 Dead Coolant Gauge Saga

Checked all bits i was told to do but still no joy with Coolant Gauge being Dead!!
            MFTS OK, Changed all connectors to MFTS , Tried another Coolant Gauge, Tried another Voltage Stabiliser ( Behind Gauges ) What else could it be??? Before this happened, the Coolant Gauge had been giving inconsistent readings and not the same every time.
            Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

Hi, I know it doesn't help but I am in the same boat ??
              Changed the MFTS and the unit at rear of head.
              About to remove the instrument cluster and investigate - if I come up with anything I will let you know.
              M.

Comment

Its usually the MFTS as this feeds the gauge (nothing to do with the one on the back of the head, this only feeds the ECU)

Question for the op. The MFTS, you say checked? How?

Note: Important to use a BEHR MFTS, most other brands give wrong temp readings...
                Last edited by LHD_Kid; 26 January 2019, 00:23. Reason: typo
                Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Cold joints on the cluster PCB. Very common fault, almost all the clusters have some cold joints by now.
                  Remove PCB and resolder all the pins.
                  If you have multimeter you could also measure the mfts resitance from cluster plug.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro
                  1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Working...
                  X