Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aften run pump keeps running with new 324

Hi all,

Since a while my after run pump is constantly running. Thing is that I already had changed the 324 relay for the same problem, that fixed it. But now it's back...
    So this afternoon I tested 2 things:

- unplugging the 2-wired temp switch on the water manifold -> no result
    - unplugging the rad sensor -> no result

I now have the connector at the after run pump disconnected to prevent battery drainage. If I re-connect it, it starts immediatly.

So with the 324 already replaced I'm pretty curious where this live stream could
    be coming from?

Thanks!

Had exactly the same problem.ended up changing the relay in the fusebox and the relay under the dash which control the fan.
    Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
    Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
    Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Comment

just had a look,try changing the relay in the fuse box that has 214 written on it,this controls the fan as well as the relay with 324 on it
      Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
      Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
      Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Comment

After-run pump and fan control module and relay info

Obviously some relay/control module has stuck on. If the J155 "324" control module is known to be good, then the 214 that controls the fan is a likely suspect. Here is some info about the Auxilliary after-run pump and fan control system:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/21503.phtml

Last edited by UrS4boy; 28 May 2014, 17:28.
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Oh yes i forgot, Ive also had those 2 214s under the hood disconnected and it kept running..

Comment

Will take out the 324 again to see if it has fried again...but in only 3 months since new that seems quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Avantus View Post
              So this afternoon I tested 2 things:
              - unplugging the 2-wired temp switch on the water manifold -> no result
              - unplugging the rad sensor -> no result
              1. The two wire 054919369B thermal switch on the water manifold is what initially triggers the 324 After run pump and fan control module when the engine is off and the coolant temp heat-soaks to 110 C. It is also used to shut the control module down if the temp drops back down to 97 C before the internal timer in the control module (10 minutes?) times out. HOWEVER, IF the module has failed "ON", disconnecting the thermal switch will have no effect, the module was triggered and it is stuck on.

2. The rad temp sensor has zero (nada, nicht, rien) to do with the after-run pump and fan circuit so disconnecting it would have no impact on your problem.

Review the wiring diagram that I posted above.

I think your issue is a failed 324. (Why it failed, if it was new 3 months ago, I do NOT know).

:

Comment

if your relay 324 back failed again I would check the pump
                if it draws too much power(amp)it might be smoke the relay
                yeah,i know,there is a fuse of 15a but i still think it's possible
                audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                AEM W/M injection

Comment

Inside the "324" after-run pump and fan control module

Originally posted by quattro-nick View Post
                  if your relay 324 back failed again I would check the pump. if it draws too much power(amp)it might be smoke the relay
                  yeah,i know,there is a fuse of 15a but i still think it's possible
                  I was used be under the impression that the "324" was a relay and it failed when its relay points stuck closed (burned together, perhaps because of a large current draw, as you suggest Nick). WRONG. (Merde). It's not a traditional relay with electro-magnets and contact points. It's a control module (Kate says "control unit"). No mechanical contact points like a relay. All electronics. So, the only thing you might be able to check is for bad solder joints, otherwise, it is a new part (used as late as the 2001 RS4).

Comment

electronics smokes too you know
                    AEM W/M injection

Comment

Will try to check it tomorrow
                      pump is also less than a year old.

thanks for thinking with me guys!

Comment

have you already tried to remove the relay 324 to see that the pump is still running?
                        it is possible that the brown/black wire is shortcut to ground somewhere on the engine
                        AEM W/M injection

Comment

Originally posted by quattro-nick View Post
                          have you already tried to remove the relay 324 to see that the pump is still running? it is possible that the brown/black wire is shortcut to ground somewhere on the engine
                          He said the 324 was new so it couldn't possibly be the problem.

"Sometimes the simplest solutions are the most difficult to find"

There are four 2-pin connectors in the area of the after run pump (at least on an AAN), as discussed here:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/252056.phtml

Here is the after-run connector showing the wires involved:

Comment

Looked at the connector of my after run pump and there are 2 red wires and 1 brown/green one... But I don't really see how it could be the wrong connector?

Comment

that are the correct wires for 3b
                              sie picture
                              Attached Files
                              AEM W/M injection

Comment

Working...
                              X