Stroker cambelt guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stroker cambelt guide

I’ve seen this question asked a few times now and as I’ve now tried all 3 camblets on my stroker I thought I’d put all my findings in one thread.

There are three different cambelts for the I5 20VT turbo:-
    3B – 147 teeth Part No. 054 109 119G ( Gates Powergrip 5182XS )
    ABY – 151 teeth Part No. 054 109 119H ( Gates Powergrip 5269XS )
    ADU – 150 teeth Part No. 034 109 119C

Gates supply the OE belts to Audi, so you get the same belt for a fraction of the cost from Audi. Unfortunately, even though they make the ADU belt, they do not list it, Audi must have exclusive rights on that one.

http://www.gatesautocat.com/

All the information in this post is based on using the AAT/AEL block with a 3B waterpump as the cambelt tensioner. You can use the ABY tensioner but it involves extra machining and you have to drill into the waterjacket which means sealing the bolts when fitting it.

3B belt
    As this is the shortest of the three belts, it means the waterpump is going to be at the bottom of it’s adjustment. You will have the extent the slots slightly and put a flat on the bottom of the pump to allow it to go down far enough to fit the belt.

You can see here I’ve extended the top of the slot to allow it to drop down

And the flat on the bottom

This is the Gates Powergrip belt:-
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-80-90...item4175eebd3e

ADU belt
    This is the ideal belt to use as it’s in the middle length wise, and this is what I used last time I built the engine. This belt needs no modifications to the pump and puts it in a similar position to the std engine.But as Audi dealers no longer sell them, they have to be ordered from Audi Tradition ( €80!! ) and even they don’t have any at present.

ABY belt
    I decided to try the ABY belt this time. The belt is readily available, I got mine from here:-
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GATES-5269...item43cec46e2d

As it’s the longest belt, the waterpump is now going to sit at the top of it’s adjustment. This time there is no need to extend the slots, it’s just long enough as standard. All seemed fine until I started the engine, then I fould hear a metallic tapping from the front of the engine, investigation with a mechanics stethoscope narrowed it down to the water pump. I stripped it down and found marks on the impellor blades where it had been fitting the block. I polished these out with a die grinder and also removed material from the block until there was no noise.
    Here you can see I’ve painted the impellor to make it easier to see where it was catching

And here is the area on the block that I had to remove material

I’m guessing I had to take off around 2mm here. The first time I put it back together I fitted the pump and turned it by hand and could feel no sign of it hitting the block, but once I’d fitted the belt and tensioned it, I could here it hitting slightly with the stethoscope so I had to strip it down and remove more material. Now listening to it with the stethoscope, it’s silent.
    Last edited by AndyP; 19 March 2018, 20:55.
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Really interesting, I'm going to bookmark this for my stroker build (if I ever get to it)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...91&postcount=7

Comment

Here's what I thought to use for my stroker; Supertorque S8M-1200. Correct tooth pitch, 150 teeth, 20mm wide and only $38.40usd. Correct me if i'm wrong

Comment

Stroker cambelt guide

Ill got the rs2 waterpump
          Rs2 150 tooth belt
          Custom tensioner
          Lower Belt guard from a t4 acv eurovan
          Cut it and plastic weld the upper guard from a 16v kr

Got no room for the longer nose on a 3B waterpump thats gona hit my intercooler in my b2 typ85

Last edited by bivw; 1 November 2016, 07:36.

Comment

Like that.Nice timing cover solution.

Comment

maybe it's the pic but i found the turbo is very high comparing to engine
              but the engine looks beautiful
              sigpic

Comment

What size EFR is that?

Comment

Engine is straight up on the picture ...
                  Not in the car

Comment

Efr9180 t3
                    Trying 8500rpm

Comment

Like the work on the oiling holes in the crank. Very interested in seeing what kind of spool you achieve with the 9180 as I am still undecided whether I run a 8374 or 9180. I am leaning toward 8374 with 1.45a/r with a qsv housing. Very interested in this. What a/r housing and fuel are you running?

Comment

Its gona be flexfuel
                        Ron102 /E85
                        T3 .83

Comment

Very nice. Will be nice to see the performance of this one.

Comment

main bearing studs

hi
                            i am peter
                            can you tell where you bought the main bearing studs to use with a main bearing girdle
                            thanks in adsvance

Comment

Perfect thread Andy , can u reupload the pictures?Photobucket seems to have some "problem"

Thanks lot

Tom
                              Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

Working...
                              X