• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing the head is the last option. Try this
    1-2-4-5-3

Comment

Hey all,

Done a bit of tracing this when everything was up to temperature.

Nothing obvious from what I could see (with regards to where the source was), although there was plenty pink crystalisation around. Checked out the places where you guys suggested and can't seem to find anything that is wet...

After popping my head underneath the car I did see fresh coolant forming on the underside of the engine block (along with crystals), I just wish I could see where it's coming from though. I really need a ramp for this!

Any further help would be great guys; thanks a lot.
      Attached Files
      Cheers,
      Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

If it is coming from towards the front of the engine bay and you can see it on the same side as the rad but on the engine block it could well be the little water pipe that is hidden from view underneath the powersteering pulley.... I know that caused me problems in the past...

Comment

i wouldn't put any leak fixer in it. fix the problem if it has one properly. that stuff makes a mess of the engine and cooling system

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
            i wouldn't put any leak fixer in it. fix the problem if it has one properly. that stuff makes a mess of the engine and cooling system
            I thought this as much. I can't seem to find any issue with the radiators (one is brand new and the other seems solid enough).

I'll maybe just ask my local mechanic to have a look at the mot next month.
            Cheers,
            Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Originally posted by Christophski View Post
              If it is coming from towards the front of the engine bay and you can see it on the same side as the rad but on the engine block it could well be the little water pipe that is hidden from view underneath the powersteering pulley.... I know that caused me problems in the past...
              Can't see anything from the front but I'll get another peak tomorrow. The neighbours must think I'm having a terrible time, the bonnet is never down looking for this leak
              Cheers,
              Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Originally posted by GrantGam View Post
                Nothing obvious from what I could see (with regards to where the source was), although there was plenty pink crystalisation around. Checked out the places where you guys suggested and can't seem to find anything that is wet...
                This is why I suggested that DIY pressure tester. It force coolant out of the leak under your control so you can see the source (of the wetness).

I am sure that if you have external leak evidence, the head gasket won't be an issue.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  This is why I suggested that DIY pressure tester. It force coolant out of the leak under your control so you can see the source (of the wetness).

I am sure that if you have external leak evidence, the head gasket won't be an issue.

If it's a hose or something I can live with it, just strange how it's not really that consistent. Or at least it doesn't seem it.
                  Cheers,
                  Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

could be a hose or a clip. weak clipscan leak at certain temps. look when cold, when hot, then as it cools. ive had then as it cools

get a fresh piece of card and put it under the engine with the undertray off. see what you catch

Comment

20VT Water Manifolds (aka "water collectors&quot

Originally posted by GrantGam View Post
                      If it's a hose or something I can live with it,.
                      Sure. Right up to the point that a hose bursts and you loose all the coolant *AND* fry (warp) the head. Then you won't be so complacent.

You might want to read this:

20VT Water Manifolds (aka "water collectors"):
                      http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/301767.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                        I use it on A100 more than 5 years. No problem with water pump and radiator. Our cars are not piezo technology.
                        1-2-4-5-3

Comment

Did you ever find out where the coolant was leaking from and did you resolve the problem?

Comment

No I did not, neither did the two different garages I put it to. The leak is so small that it is difficult to find. As far as faults go, it was almost a non issue for me. Would call it a weep more than anything; topping the reservoir up every 2-3 months. It was just something that annoyed me because I couldn't trace it.
                            Cheers,
                            Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Working...
                            X