Retrieving ECU Fault codes - Please learn how

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieving ECU Fault codes - Please learn how

Apologies up front if anybody is offended by what follows. I've just lost patience. I had open heart surgery on Nov. 23rd and I don't care if you get upset being told what to do. Call it tough love.

This is a typical statement on this forum:

Originally posted by naim22 View Post
    Ideally I would like to read the codes (not sure how useful this is) but I think it would be a good start. Is there anyone in the North Yorkshire area who is handy with these cars who could read the codes or alternatively what do people recommend to do this with myself? Don't think it has a standard 16 pin OBD plug?
    Naim
    Sorry Naim (and others) but many of you need to stop whinging about not having the fault codes and take more control of the situation and learn how to retrieve your own ECU fault codes so a) you have a better idea of what the problem is and b) you don't have to rely on anyone else.

First thing that you need to know is where the diagnostic ports are located.

Here is a primer on that:

UrS C4, 200 20VT (3B) and S2/RS2 OBD1 Fault Code access port locations and info:
    http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/90409.phtml

Two examples from that post:

There are three main methods of retrieving codes:

1. Blink Codes: Tools required - metal paper clip and the ability to count to 4. Note: admittedly some Euro cars do not have Check Engine Light (CEL) or Malfunction indicator light (MIL) to blink. That said, Paul Nugent posted instructions here how to install a check engine light where there is none:

http://www.s2central.net/main_frame.html
    "Technical Data" then "Workshop tools" then "VAG-COM" and then look for "Blink codes"

Here are the instructions for the procedure:
    http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...f20v.html#fcs4

2. Cheap VW/Audi code reader

Personally, I can't count to 4 so I bought two things off ebay.uk that make me happy:

I bought a U281 VW Audi DTC Memoscanner off ebay.co.uk It arrived within 5 days. The 2 x 2 x OBD2/1 connector adapter cable also purchased separately arrived a day or so later.

These (not to the same scale):

Here is an example of using the U281. Testing and retrieving fault codes:
    http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/297428.phtml

3. Ross-Tech VCDS Lite:

Requirements - A laptop and a special cable and a software download. Personally I would recommend $99 registered version, not the free ware version. Give the folks who developed the product some money and get better features in return. Be in control.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

Take your pick but please pick one of them and learn how to use it. It will make your life easier and we will be able to help you with your problem much more efficiently.

Sorry.
    Last edited by UrS4boy; 31 December 2015, 16:40.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

I bought a £12 cable and £18 reader (similar to above) off the bay some time ago. They work perfectly fine for reading and clearing codes, even from the airbag and ABS systems. As Dave says, for the sake of spending £30 or so, they're worth their weight in gold for these old wagons

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post

Apologies up front if anybody is offended by what follows. I've just lost patience. I had open heart surgery on Nov. 23rd and I don't care if you get upset being told what to do. Call it tough love.

This is a typical statement on this forum:

Sorry Naim

(and others, including macspring)

but many of you need to stop whinging about not having the fault codes and take more control of the situation and learn how to retrieve your own ECU fault codes so a) you have a better idea of what the problem is and b) you don't have to rely on anyone else.
      Hi my name is macspring, and I am guilty of making Dave feel used.

You are so right Dave, I needed the tough love.

Half joking and half in earnest aside, hopefully the cardiologist has helped you to be able to continue to hang around the forums for a long time to come.

Reminds us older members that it is not just the cars that need attention from time to time.

Stay well.

Last edited by macspring; 29 December 2015, 12:59.

Comment

Hope you're doing and feeling well Dave!

Codes do help a lot. I got myself the reading equipment long before joining this forum, it has helped immensely during tough times with my cars.

Comment

Dave needs to be kept busy to stop him going senile

I would wish you a speedy recovery but looks like you are already back to full strength
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Speedy recovery Dave. Remember, stress is a killer.
            "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post

Dave needs to be kept busy to stop him going senile

I would wish you a speedy recovery but looks like you are already back to full strength
              lol for both quips, good to see you in rude health also Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by mike74 View Post
                I bought a £12 cable and £18 reader (similar to above) off the bay some time ago. They work perfectly fine for reading and clearing codes, even from the airbag and ABS systems. As Dave says, for the sake of spending £30 or so, they're worth their weight in gold for these old wagons
                Here is a link to a U281 on ebay.uk for under £14:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U281-VW-Au...wAAOSwZjJU5iyn

Here is the 2 x 2 OBD2 adapter cable for £3 and £2 shipping in the UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG-COM-Au...EAAOSwDNdVgj4G

Comment

Damn Dave , I did notice your absence for a bit but thought you were off traipsing the nude beaches in Southern France again. Best wishes for continued recovery and hope you stay around as long as there are old Audis to chase after. BTW, that scan tool cost me way more than 30 pounds a couple of years ago

But I am deadly, earnestly, pedantically, seriously wishing you best of health and a hearty and happy new year.

Comment

Damn, that sounds harsh Dave but also sounds good in terms of you being fixed up. Hope recovery is treating you better than us mechanical fools.

Just for the record, the best way of sorting these old Audi's out is to get shot of them. Does leave a huge hole in your life though. I miss mine but at least I don't have to hassle you anymore. Cannot help still hanging around here though and your abrupt and stern messages confirm that you are on the mend. Long may that continue.

Comment

Hope you are feeling better Dave and I wish you a speedy recovery

I have a code reader and cable on order now so thanks for your help and a Happy New Year

Unfortunately I have had to tuck the RS away due to York looking something like a lake at present!

Naim

Comment

Originally posted by A1QSHIP View Post
                        Speedy recovery Dave. Remember, stress is a killer.
                        Thanks to all for the good wishes. I know about stress. That is one reason why I retired from Engineering consulting in 2010 at age 59. I did not see this particular issue (heart bypass surgery) coming (although there were a few signs that *NOW* I understand but didn't back then). In the last year I had a couple of serious chances to have a major and, probably, in retrospect, fatal heart attack. Somehow I survived those events (major physical stress both involving water being in places that it shouldn't have been) without a problem. Instead the problem shows up while strolling flat streets in Nice France in early October. Go figure.

Anyway, I am on the mend and will still try to help you guys as much as I can for as long as I can. I always learn something while "helping".

Comment

All the best from me Dave, I wish you a full recovery and then some more. May it be a good year for you!

You are an UrS i5 Legend

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                            Thanks to all for the good wishes. I know about stress. That is one reason why I retired from Engineering consulting in 2010 at age 59. I did not see this particular issue (heart bypass surgery) coming (although there were a few signs that *NOW* I understand but didn't back then). In the last year I had a couple of serious chances to have a major and, probably, in retrospect, fatal heart attack. Somehow I survived those events (major physical stress both involving water being in places that it shouldn't have been) without a problem. Instead the problem shows up while strolling flat streets in Nice France in early October. Go figure.

Anyway, I am on the mend and will still try to help you guys as much as I can for as long as I can. I always learn something while "helping".
                            Retired at 59, just over twice my age, lucky man.

As for fault code reading, I have used a certain blue coloured cable of eBay and software for a number of years. Its a good starting point as you can tell if the symptoms are affective or effective or a control issue. However be aware it can lead you up the garden path if you don't fully understand the issue

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                              All the best from me Dave, I wish you a full recovery and then some more. May it be a good year for you!

You are an UrS i5 Legend

Take it easy Dave and a speedy recovery mate!
                              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                              96 URS6 plus speck estate
                              94 2.6 80 Avant
                              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                              X