No announcement yet.

RS2 Cambelt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, heard back from gates and as they don't perceive a market in the US, they're not willing to do a batch in the US so I may be speaking to someone in the UK.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

If the kevlar ones are better isn't 41£ a good price? Could we ask them if everything else fails?

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
        If the kevlar ones are better isn't 41£ a good price? Could we ask them if everything else fails?
        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

They're ABY AAN belts not ADU. I have requested a price for a batch of RS2 belts.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            They're ABY AAN belts not ADU. I have requested a price for a batch of RS2 belts.
            But I need an ABY belt... they don't call me Mr.Selfish for nothing...!
            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
              I am quite sure that even the non-"racing" cam belts are reinforced with at least woven steel wires. This goes back to the very first B1 Audi 80 1.5L 8V EA827 engines from the early 1970's, as shown in pg. 6 of the very first EA827 study guide, SSP01.

Attached Files
              Last edited by UrS4boy; 7 April 2016, 16:22.
              RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

That's good to know. From what I understand it seems easier to get a reinforced one than a non reinforced one from the above post by Andy. That's why I suggested the kevlar option. All I'd need is a 150 teeth one and since they are scarce I'm happy to get 2

Comment

I'm sorry to hack, but is it a big difference? What benefits will I gain if, for example, fit 150 teeth belt+rs2 waterpump on my AAN? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by RichLV View Post
                    I'm sorry to hack, but is it a big difference? What benefits will I gain if, for example, fit 150 teeth belt+rs2 waterpump on my AAN? Just curious.
                    Someone can correct me but I think the Porsche engineers looked at the way the RS2 radiator was beside the engine, well into the engine bay, and decided that there would be issues with a cooling 315 PS engine unless they did something. The something was to effectively overdrive the water pump by installing a 26 tooth pulley instead of the ABY/AAN 29 tooth pulley so the water pump would spin faster and, assuming no cavitation, move more coolant through the engine. The 150 tooth belt must have fallen out of the need to have a shorter belt because of the smaller diameter pulley and still maintain proper belt tension.

The AAN has its radiator well at the front with lots of cool air flow impacting it. I have never heard of a non-clogged AAN radiator failing to provide enough cooling power, even with horsepowers well above stock 230 PS, e.g. 380 PS and above. You are perfectly fine continuing to run a 29 tooth AAN water pump and 151 tooth cam belt on your AAN.

Comment

my rs2 had a 151 belt and ran perfectly..

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
                        my rs2 had a 151 belt and ran perfectly..
                        I am not surprised given the range of motion the AAN/ABY/ADU cam belt tensioner provides.

Front of AAN without water pump showing the cam belt tensioner (same one the ABY and ADU use):

Last edited by UrS4boy; 7 April 2016, 18:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                          Im looking forward to hearing the reply.
                          1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
                          1995 Audi RS2

Comment

Minimum order is 75 belts so it's stalled just now.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

[QUOTE=Rusty;901650]Minimum order is 75 belts so it's stalled

I would buy two . Would nt be that much more then buying one from Audi Tradition.

Comment

I have an ABY belt on my RS2 and I've thrashed the ball's off it with no problems whatsoever and that's what I'll be replacing it with.

I don't see any issue, the gear ratio remains the same.

In theory one pulley could be 100 miles away as long as there's no stretch the cam shaft would rotate at the same speed.
                                1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                                1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                                1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                                1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X