Fuel Cell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Cell

I inspected my standard 3B fuel tank last night to find it is not looking too great.

As I am trying to save weight and gain some space in the back an option I am looking into is installing a smaller alloy tank with external fuel pump, pre and post pump filters.

I have a couple of questions that I hope can be answered:

1. What pump shall I be looking at? Im not going to be running big bhp so I think a 044 is a bit much. A friend uses http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/track...flow-fuel-pump on his track car but not sure if it will be enough.

2. Is a swirl pot required for standard/low power engines?

I'm only getting a price list together at the moment to see which route I go and as you all know I am all about the budget spending.

I'm sure I have missed something as this is the first time I have thought about the fuel system.
    If I go down this route then I would like it to be a stand alone system. Im not sure if this is possible as I dont know if the ECU needs to be connected to the pump.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

ECU controls fuel pump power via a relay. Iirc the ECU sends a ground to it when the crank sensors have a valid signal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
        ECU controls fuel pump power via a relay. Iirc the ECU sends a ground to it when the crank sensors have a valid signal.

I was going to remove the ECU control to pump power. My thoughts were that I would just turn the fuel pump on before starting the key as it would run until I turned it off again. Doubt this is the best way but hey.

Comment

If that's the way you want to do it, I'd still keep the relay and use a switch to switch the ground to the relay instead of the ECU. Just hassle for hassles sake really.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

But then if you have a prang the ECU can't shut off the fuel pump. What I did with my last car was to run a thick cable to the boot as the main feed for the new pump, then use the original fuel pump wiring to trip a new relay to power the new pump, if you see what I mean

Comment

I have one in my avant and I don't like it. Takes up lots of space and a external fuel pump makes more noise.

But if you really want it take a fuelab prodigy pump and pressure regulator. The pressure regulator controls the rpm of the pump which is perfect for a street setup. And also it's better to let your ecu control the power to the pump. If you manually controlling your pump and you crash the pump will not shut off and if you have a fuel leak it will spray fuel everywhere.
              1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

I didn't think about the crash or leak issue.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

I also had it manual controlled but i did changed it because of that yes. Its not hard. Just use the wire that powers the original pump to operate the relay.
                  1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

What relay did you use?

Comment

How to "Turbo Charge" your Fuel Pump: DIY instructions for adding a battery-to-fuel p

Originally posted by Dobby84 View Post
                      What relay did you use?
                      How to "Turbo Charge" your Fuel Pump: DIY instructions for adding a battery-to-fuel pump relay:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/24327.phtml

All you need is a standard Bosch 4 pin 15 AMP relay.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/24327.phtml

Interesting read that. Ill look into this.

Comment

I made this kind of fuel cell for my friends Typ85. It's quite big, something like 80 liters.

The pump/filter setup is like in your first pic. Dual filter -> 044 -> filter -> y-connection -> fuel pipe

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                          Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                          BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                          BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Do you know how the pump was wired up?
                            Also can you give me a rough idea how much that tank cost? Are there any pic of it installed?

Cheers

Comment

I am having a tank built for my urq at the moment. Its 300 x 300 x 850. Foam filled with vdo dip tube sender. 10 an fittings for flow and return and 6 an Breather with roll over valve. This will have a removable inspection hatch to replace foam if required. Its about 500 quid. This will then feed a high flow low pressure holey pump which will feed a filter. Then from there it feeds my nuke performance swirl surge tank. Inside the swirl tank are 2x walbro 450 hp pumps. These will feed another filter with a 7 micron filter and from there up the car on 8 an hose. 6 an from the fuel regulator back to the swirl tank.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X