Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffled Sump Vs. Dry Sump.

Hi Guys,

Sure this has been covered before, but want to get your thoughts on baffled vs dry sump system.

cheers.
    Adam.

What's the car used for road or track?
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

if you want to keep the costs down use accusump
      AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

Biggest benefit of dry sump would be the possibility to rev higher up... Stock pump would propably not tolerate rpm's close to- or over 9000rpm.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
        Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
        BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
        BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
          What's the car used for road or track?
          The cars going to be used for a mix of fast road use and the "occasional" track day....I was going to go for an Accusump kit but ive seen VRS are going to be offering a dry sump system for the I5 very shortly. Unsure what to go for. Having spent a small fortune thus far i'm in a dilemma whether to fork out for a DS kit or not as the final whammy.

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
            Biggest benefit of dry sump would be the possibility to rev higher up... Stock pump would propably not tolerate rpm's close to- or over 9000rpm.

9K rpm sounds like the engine will need a rebuild every 5k miles...?? Im after a reliable 600ps. But at the same time I dont want to be inhibited in giving the car a good thrashing pretty much everytime its driven.

Comment

Good sump baffling cost a fraction of the dry sump system and will be perfectly fine. If it is a 100% track car with supergrippy slicks then you may get some more reliability in high speed corners with dry sump. But then the accusump will also do the same thing.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
              Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
              BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
              BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

For fast road and track unnecessary IMHO but if I had the budget I would do it.
                You should also make the full use of the shallower sump packaging and drop the engine and gearbox down in the chassis which will have a very nice impact on the CoG.
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

What's the difference About £4000
                  Last edited by terrybullwon; 15 June 2016, 14:07.
                  Chef

Comment

If it makes any difference im going to be around the 600hp mark very soon and will be running accusump along with a baffled sump. Dry sump is great if you have deep pockets and the need to rev high enough. Im sure theres a power gain to be had too but for mix of road & track im not sure the costs are justified

Comment

Were are guys connecting in your accusump? At the oil cooler pipes? Do you fit check valves or just a control valve?

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have machined the special mounting bolt for the oil thermostat housing and welded on a -10 fitting
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                          I have machined the special mounting bolt for the oil thermostat housing and welded on a -10 fitting
                          Ok cheers. Just wondering if a simple t piece on the flow or return would do?

Comment

Tee into the return would work I guess, really needs to be direct into the main oil gallery
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                              Were are guys connecting in your accusump? At the oil cooler pipes? Do you fit check valves or just a control valve?

Drill a hole in the bolt that holds the oil filter housing and weld on a fitting and connect the Accusump there. Works perfect

Comment

Working...
                              X