Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RS2 problem on cylinder 4- help/advise needed (VLP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 problem on cylinder 4- help/advise needed (VLP)

Hi there - Mr G from South Africa and I would appreciate your help/guidance/advise - sorry for the long post, but I believe I should provide enough information......
    So here goes
    So about 3 weeks ago, I thought I should check and clean the PCV on my 1995 RS2, with 211k kms.
    Thanx to this here awesome forum, I manged to do everything, including replacing the bleeder valve and clean out the whole system. Surprisingly there was no oil gunked up and was rather easy to clean. I am not very mechanical minded but can follow instructions , especially if pictures are provided - once again I found everything on this forum and for that a huge THANX.
    I must be honest, the removal and cleaning was "easy", and I was concerned about the whole "re-fitting is the opposite of removal" . Strangely it was actually easier to re-fit than remove.
    Anyway everything done and I go for a short test drive and A Ok. This was 2 Saturdays ago. Drive around on the Saturday and Sunday morning go to a spares shop to get some wiper blades. On my way back, she starts missing. Thinking might be a pipe or some connector that came loose. Check everything once the motor cooled down. Everything looks fine - but she still missing, even at idle.
    So I reference this site, and do the "disconnect each injector" while idling and find that number 4 is the problem. So swap out the POS units, and unfortunately the problem is still number 4. Swapping the POS units was a huge PITA - mostly because of the space or should I say lack of......
    Swap out the plug and still no joy. Spark looked fine. I don't have a VCDS or other diagnostic equipment at hand. I did try the blink code (yes Dave I gave it a bash , but couldn't get that to work. I will be taking it to shop with full diagnostic equipment on Tuesday evening.
    Based on all the info available here, I think it's the coil or injector - but will hopefully know on Tuesday.
    In the meantime was wondering what you guys think it could be.
    NB - I did most of the work on the car over week-ends and some evenings after work - with mostly basic tools.
    Cheers - hopefully it's neither and something smaller or a part that's readily available

Sounds like the coil. Take the cover off and have a smell of it. They usually stink when they melt down. Or try swap the plug connector and see if the miss fire moves.

Hth
    Rob..
    94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
    87 UR 20v ABY
    97 S6 Avant
    96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
    1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Thanx GT500 - no funny smell, on both occasions when I took the cover off.
      Hopefully the diagnostic tomorrow will reveal something.
      Appreciate your feedback.
      I hope it's just co-incidence that this happened about 30/40kms after cleaning the PVC

Comment

You were spot on GT500 - it is the coil. Did the old fashion test, no spark from number 4 - all others have a strong spark.
        The plug connectors were swapped - still no spark
        So the search begins for a coil , which here on the southern tip of Africa is not easy to come by.

Comment

Beru are the original manufacturer and the part number will be on here somewhere. Most convert to TFSI coils using one of the harnesses available on here. I have done this and while it doesn't look stock, it works... you can get covers or modify the OE cover to improve cooling.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Thanx Rusty for the heads up - appreciate it.
            First prize would be to keep it stock......but I'll see how it goes.

Comment

There have been a few cold for sale here and on eBay recently. I changed a couple of my coils a few years ago and purchased using the very number without too much of an issue
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

"purchased using the very number without too much of an issue" - ? Greg S, sorry I'm not sure I understand
                I'll keep an eye both here and on the bay.....thanx

Comment

Originally posted by Mr G View Post
                  "purchased using the very number without too much of an issue" - ? Greg S, sorry I'm not sure I understand
                  I'll keep an eye both here and on the bay.....thanx
                  Should read "Beru part number" cursed smartphone spellcorrect..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Aah OK thanx Newsh - that makes sense
                    I've got all 3 part numbers - OEM, Beru and Bosch - and the search has started...

Comment

Sorry for the late update........finally got a new coil, installed and my beast is back
                      Thax for all the help!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X