Cam sensor advice G40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam sensor advice G40

An electrical person looked at my S2 ABY because it was not starting. He said it was a bad connection on the G40.

He fixed it according to him. One week later it does not start.

Cutting the story short I purchased a complete brand new sensor including bracket from Bosch.

Any advice when replacing the old one and fitting the new.

Should I look at doing anything else while the work is being done?

orsum

G40 Cam Sensor replacement alternatives

Originally posted by orsum View Post
    An electrical person looked at my S2 ABY because it was not starting. He said it was a bad connection on the G40. He fixed it according to him. One week later it does not start. Cutting the story short I purchased a complete brand new sensor including bracket from Bosch. Any advice when replacing the old one and fitting the new. Should I look at doing anything else while the work is being done? orsum
    Based on observation, you tend to throw money at your car/buy things that aren't really needed , i.e. the fault could just be with the G40 harness connector which could be replace for a few dollars (say US$10 for arguments sake). Helps if you ask here before you buy.

You missed that possibility and went directly to a new G40 Hall Sender on a bracket. You overpaid for what you really need *IF* indeed the G40 has actually failed.

If you had asked here about G40s, either I or somebody else probably would have pointed out that the Hall sender itself is very inexpensive, e.g. US$20:

http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/pr...products_id=95

(Also available from sellers in Europe if you look - I know RSA isn't easy but still).

Typically a good time to do the G40 Cam Sensor is when you do the cam belt. However, they can be done, independent of the cam belt. But since the cam sprocket has to come off anyway, you might consider replacing the cam seal when doing the G40.

Here are some DIYs that do NOT involve replacing the cam belt. (Done for AAN but should work with some minor procedural changes for ABY and ADU):

Nate P's DIY was in Picasa and seems have been killed by the rocket surgeons at Google.

Here are two alternatives:

http://12v.org/urs/NatePs_ImQuattros...tProcedure.pdf

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/300941.phtml

REFERENCE:

G40 Cam Position Sensor (CPS) info:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/22580.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Replace it, if it even as much as hickups once take that as a warning of imminent failure. BTDT

To replace it you have to remove the timing belt and camshaft pulley, so your basically into a timing belt job which is probably needed anyway.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I saw all the posts including most likely to stop you on the side of the road.

Decided to buy the G40 as a spare, and if it turns out not to be that then its a spare, money well spent when driving in Africa.

If it is then I will buy just the hall sensor and repair the defective one and then I have a full spare.

No matter I will end up with a spare.

I have set some time to one side for fault finding in about 1-2 weeks. I will see my skills put to the test.

UrS4boy I look forward to your replies and find them extremely helpful, living in this part of the world you don't need to be stuck the side of the road so spares money is well spent.

I am sure the cam belt is fine and the tensioner but I will be buying replacements.

Once the car is done there will be lots of time drive and with a lot of hard work and support for all the stopping will be kept to zero.

The car is in the teething stage so I expect a few more issues.

Please keep the advice coming.

Regards

orsum

Comment

You you don't need to take the entire cambelt off to change the sensor,just put a couple of tie wraps around the top of the pulley and belt then slip the pulley off the cam and change the sensor

Comment

You know whats in my head right now is the crank pulley.

Chances are I will do the belt and tensioner and then what about the crank pulley.

The thing is the car has only done 62500 miles and I am a bit reluctant to do the crank pulley even more so that it seems to be the original and 'has never been touched.

Presently on the side of not doing the crank pulley but could be pushed to do it with advice from others were they put the pulley at a high risk of failure due to age or some other reason..

I mean how often do these things fail and why do they fail.

orsum

Comment

I replaced the cam pos sensor around 3 years ago. Symptoms were intermittent starting, then no start at all on a frosty morning. Had no idea what was causing it, but found cheap kit on Ebay to get the fault codes onto a laptop, which found it in minutes. Sensor extortionate from Audi, but not too bad from local Bosch agent. Later found a source for the hall sensors and now have a spare one built up. Sensors work out at about 10-12 euros, but the rivets on the new ones are brass and very flimsy. Used araldite backfill to make sure the sensor remains flat against the alloy base, as the running clearances are quite small...

Comment

You know whats in my head right now is the crank pulley.

Chances are I will do the belt and tensioner and then what about the crank pulley.

The thing is the car has only done 62500 miles and I am a bit reluctant to do the crank pulley even more so that it seems to be the original and 'has never been touched.

Presently on the side of not doing the crank pulley but could be pushed to do it with advice from others were they put the pulley at a high risk of failure due to age or some other reason..

I mean how often do these things fail and why do they fail.

orsum
                They seem to fail more regularly than we'd all like or one would expect unless one is a regular reader of threads on here. If you decide to skip it's replacement at least buy one and have it "in stock", particularly so given where you're based.

Also buy a decent uprated one rather than the oem version. Others will advise which one as they are a few and differing opinions of which is the best.

If it was me I'd do it as you don't want to have any further break-down grief and transport the car home/garage costs.

A case of do it 'all' while you're in there, and only have to do it once. Allowing your to drive it with confidence, and no niggling doubts in the back of your mind.

Just my own thoughts.

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  Nate P's DIY was in Picasa and seems have been killed by the rocket surgeons at Google.
                  does this link work ?

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...CAU9D3jsKr2ZWq
                  sigpic
                  Cab 2.3E
                  90q
                  URS6

Comment

That link will be very helpful

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by slacky View Post
                      Yes, thanks. It is the full version of what I posted above. I guess the rocket surgeons at Google did do a back up when they killed Picasa (they just didn't tell anybody about it)

Comment

That link will be very helpful

Thanks

Yes, thanks. It is the full version of what I posted above. I guess the rocket surgeons at Google did do a back up when they killed Picasa (they just didn't tell anybody about it)

sigpic
                        Cab 2.3E
                        90q
                        URS6

Comment

Feedback

So today I changed the hall sensor type HKZ101 and replaced it with a Bosch complete with a new bracket.

Started first time

Now I need to locate a sensor and replace the defective one. Must have a spare available at all times.

Thanks for all the advice.

Anybody know a good source to buy a sensor?

Sorry just read UrS4boy post and link to buy a spare sensor. Will order one tomorrow.

Comment

Now I need to locate a sensor and replace the defective one. Must have a spare available at all times. Anybody know a good source to buy a sensor?
                            Sorry just read UrS4boy post and link to buy a spare sensor. Will order one tomorrow.
                            I posted this on November 16th:

Based on observation, you tend to throw money at your car/buy things that aren't really needed ... Helps if you ask here before you buy.
                            And you just read my post and its links now?

Happy for you (that the G40 was the issue) but if you want help, you need to read the info posts that people (not just me) provide you with.

Comment

Hi UrS4boy,

Just to clear up my last post.

I did read your advice on 16-11-2016 but I only recall that you had posted a link to purchase a sensor after I posted my request today for a place to buy one.

Hence why I edited the thread a few min after I posted it and said sorry for my lack of recall. Did you not read my edit saying sorry

Its obvious to me you appear to be able to remember everything, I am not so good/lucky as you with recalling everything I read. Excuse me for my human error.

But please do not be in doubt I read everything posted by you and everybody else that take their time to assist myself and many others who are in need of help. The nice thing about help is we all gain experience and should be able to assist others when they are in need of help.

So again I will say a big thank you to you and everybody else for the technical support and advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X