X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Performance Oil Filter

Maybe someone could comment about these filters

https://mobiloil.com/en/oil-filters/...l-filters#list

or even someone has experience of using them ?
    My intention is not about long-life performance, just because
    Holds and removes three times more dirt than the leading economy filter brand*
    Are these really better than FRAM PH10298 or Mann W 719/30 /
    All opinions are welcome and thanks in advance.

I use the Mann W950/4 filter, loads more filter area and it holds almost a litre of oil.

sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

That's a monster! Add a 19-row cooler and you'll need more than 5 litres of oil for an oil change
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Takes almost exactly 5ltrs now, so yes, a bigger cooler would push it over. The filters are still cheap, I've just ordered some more from GSF while they have 49% off and the work out at just over £5.
        sigpic

Comment

What's the benefit of having a filter that big? And how does it fit there??

Comment

Originally posted by RichLV View Post
            From an un-technical point of view- surely the larger the filter, the larger the oil capacity, meaning that each particle will be drawn through the oil pump less frequently, lasting longer (and keeping cooler??)

If I recall correctly- back in 1958/9 when the first motorway in the UK (Preston By-pass?) was opened, it was the first long stretch of unregulated road in the country, and cars that would normally be driven cautiously on single carriageway roads were now being driven Flat Out for the length of the road. Ford (again from memory), in response to many failed bottom-ends of their 105E, produced a larger oil filter, increasing the oil capacity by sufficient percentage that the oil temperature actually topped-out, instead of going through the roof, and breaking down.

.....and if I have got this completely wrong, hopefully Ford will forgive me

Comment

Pretty much as above, the larger filer area should keep the oil cleaner and it increases the oil capacity by 0.5lts which helps with cooling.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                Pretty much as above, the larger filer area should keep the oil cleaner and it increases the oil capacity by 0.5lts which helps with cooling.
                I presume that it's not fitted to the original oil filter housing?

Comment

I presume that it's not fitted to the original oil filter housing?
                  Yes, it's a direct fit, it's tight but having the hex fitting on the bottom means it comes off easy without a strap wrench
                  sigpic

Comment

I use the Mann W950/4 filter, loads more filter area and it holds almost a litre of oil.

Interesting. I have oil change coming up, might be worth buying the bigger one

Thanks for the information.
                    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Takes almost exactly 5ltrs now, so yes, a bigger cooler would push it over. The filters are still cheap, I've just ordered some more from GSF while they have 49% off and the work out at just over £5.
                      Hi what car did you select from the list? as GSF doesn't let me browse parts without selecting the car.
                      Eurocarparts do it for £5.80
                      Lukas

Comment

I use the Volkswagen LT van, 86-92, 2.4TD:-

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/se...ers/oil-filter
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Andy, order placed
                          '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                          '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Thanks for the good info.

Comment

The larger filter should have more mesh surface area, which means that the filter material can be a finer mesh for the same flow, thus removing finer particles. Or, using the same mesh, you could expect to get better flow from a larger filter and less pressure drop. Can't do any harm to fit the bigger filter, if it will fit and can't see that it would make much difference to the amount of oil in circuit...

Comment

Working...
                              X