ABY coolant won't circulate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@LHD.

Excuse my stupidity, but is there a way of having the German e-bay pages display in English ?

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Right click on the page and "translate"

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
        Right click on the page and "translate"
        Grand, but what does one do when using a Mac ?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post

Thanks.
          Buy a PC
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post

Thanks.

Whatever you do on the stupid thing to get the right click menu to pop up? [emoji51]

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Partly solved.

Cheap MFTS gave me faulty readings. Hooked up vcds and took the car for a spin. Temps held 93-97C

But the heater won't blow hot air. It's just warm. Washed and rinsed the matrix thoroughly and it flows ok. No fault codes from the HVAC system. Any ideas? Or should I just start new thread in the appropriate section?

But the good news is I can now drive it

Comment

Just a suggestion - maybe flushing the block/ head through with a high pressure Karcher jet wash would shift any silt formed over many years ... Nothing to lose - maybe the flow will improve .

Comment

Old thread resurrection, but I still kind of have this issue. 100% sure that no leaks are present. Bled the system too many times, and it always has some air in the system. Only theory that I can think of anymore is that the main radiator is sitting too high -> everytime I bleed the system and lower the reservoir back to it's place there is air left in the upper part of the radiator (because the radiator too sits high). The air is then effectively delivered to heater matrix by after run pump since its turn briefly everytime the ignition is switched on. Is this theory possible at all? Some pics attached from the bottom rad mounting bush (too big?) and radiator height compared to IM.

IMG-20190923-WA0002.jpg
                  IMG-20190923-WA0001.jpg

Comment

You could try one of these. Most service places also have those, if do not want to buy your own. Sucks the air out of the system. That under mount looks OEM.

S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Comment

The flaps in the heater box have holes in which are covered in foam, when the foam turns to dust with age and falls off the cold air doesn’t turn off when you move the lever to hot so it’s always only warm. It’s a bit of a job but maybe the dash needs to come out?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I bought a tester which should show any exhaust gasses from the coolant (head gasket). I tried that and it suggested that no exhaust gases are present.

Newsh, I actually fixed the flaps a while back

I also did ask the same question from facebook group and got a few suggestions that the symptoms sound like a blown head gasket. I have to investigate things furter by doing a pressure test for the coolant system.

Comment

Have you checked the valve on the heater hose (engine side of the firewall)? Maybe it's closed or only opening part way.

Comment

Have you checked the heater control valve? It could be stuck closed or partially open or may it's not being actuated (vacuum/electrically).

Comment

No valve on hoses entering the heater matrix. The temp is controlled via a temp flap inside the ventilation box

Comment

Do you have any cracks in the heater box/housing between the different sections where air can be getting out before it passes through the heater core?

Comment

Working...
                                X