Speedo stopped working after working on the car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo stopped working after working on the car

I have had strange problems with my 3b coupe such as intermittent starting , alternator ,
    and poor running. So I made the disition to replace all the eart wires on the car.
    This has sorted most of the issures .
    However on testing the car the speedo was not
    Working.
    It was working before we worked on the car
    But not after.
    Any advise as to where to look would be much appreciated
    As on testing the car I got stopped for speeding on a dual
    Carriageway
    So I can say goodby
    To my clean licence after almost 50 years.
    To say I ampissed is an understatement .

Are the other dials working still? Check the boot and connector on the sensor which goes into the gearbox in case you have disturbed it. Also worth checking the connectors on the back of the binacle too.

Know what you mean on the speeding thing, i got caught last summer doing 56 in a 50 but managed to go on an education course as it was first offence. Hopefully as a first timer you should be offered the same unless wildly over the limit?
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Unfortunately 90 in a 70.
      Thanks for the advise I will check all the connections

Comment

Speedo stopped working after working on the car

Sorry to hear about your ticket Lou, I got a 34 in a 30 this time last year so annoyed I took the fine rather than the course..
        A few years back I got a 90 in a 70 on the motorway, camera van on bridge. A bit too easy to do 90 in the coupe as it's just over 3000 rpm and the exhaust note goes quiet.. just before we'd been stuck in traffic for an hour!
        I added a silencer after that.

Which earth wires did you renew?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Your right there John

Comment

Sorry John I missed the question at the end of your post.
            I changed the two main battery straps. The double negative strap , and the long positive that runs along the bulk head to the starter side.
            I changed these because they where in poor condition.
            Also found two connections loose. Probably through vibration after fitting poly engine and gearbox mounts.
            It is possible that I disturbed something when pulling the old wire through on the bulk head ,but I cannot see anything obvious.
            Also checked all the wires on the rad because the fan wasn't coming on ,and the car was overheating.

Comment

Got under the car and fiddled with the connections , same up top ,and it's working again

Comment

Love those cheap fixes

Comment

G22 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) 012409191D Info - What it is and where the signal goes

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
                  Got under the car and fiddled with the connections , same up top ,and it's working again
                  I was going to suggest the G22 Vehicle Speed Sensor connection but it was late last night and I decided to wait until this AM. Looks like in the meantime you found an answer.

G22 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) 012409191D Info - What it is and where the signal goes:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/168463.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                  X