Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S2 starter motor or ignition switch failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 starter motor or ignition switch failure?

Good evening everyone. Anyone point me in the right direction for fixing my non start problem?

Car started and drove fine this morning. Popped into shops for 5 mins came back and wouldn't start. It did crank a little before nothing happened. Now turning key i just hear a click from a relay (i think this is normal?) and makes no effort to crank.

Walked up to the local Peugeot garage, battery in hand and they tested it and stuck it on charge for an hour said it is a good battery. So i think i can rule that out.

Managed to bump start it no problem and drove 10 miles home with no issues. Turned off and tried to restart but still the same problem.

So I've searched the forum as usual and I'm leaning towards ignition switch failure.
    Anybody think the same?
    1995 Audi S2 Avant

stick 12v straight to starter solenoid small wire (out of gear lol) to rule out the starter

Comment

As above Mike, if you put 12v to the small connector on the solenoid(as said ensure it's in neutral) of the starter and it cranks then that rules out the starter, main cabling to it and also the earth circuit.
      If the above happens then assume you are not getting battery voltage at the small wire, you might be getting something or nothing.

Do you have a voltmeter?

If you give the small solenoid a 12v feed and still nothing then the earth cabling between engine and battery need checking......if ok then....
      ....if the main connection from the battery looks ok it's still worth taking it off to give it a clean, sometimes when slackening or tightening the nut it can move the stud a little and in doing so partially clean a poor connection on the inside of the solenoid!
      Also if you give the starter body a tap with a hammer and it then starts then it's likely the brushes are worn and/or sticking.

..............or drive it down here!

Comment

While you are under the car, look at the braided cable running to the solenoid... Your non start sounds very familiar to one I had a while ago - that was caused by the cable corroding / burning through. Mine let go with a puff of smoke that my parents spotted as I started the car on their driveway, it did start but 5 mins later at a petrol station I had to bump start.

Comment

great stuff will give that a try before i set about removing it.

Can i use a separate battery for 12v for testing assuming i earth it to starter? Doubt my jump leads will reach from the avant boot.

Don't have a voltmeter John but will pick one up today. If i can't sort it i may well be headed south to you
          1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Good luck with that Mike, and good to have an expert just down the M90 from you!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
              Can i use a separate battery for 12v for testing assuming i earth it to starter? Doubt my jump leads will reach from the avant boot.
              Just bridge over from the main feed from battery, and as above check the braided cable between solenoid and starter terminals....that should be obvious enough if it's burnt/corroded away.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                While you are under the car, look at the braided cable running to the solenoid...
                Originally posted by John. View Post
                Just bridge over from the main feed from battery, and as above check the braided cable between solenoid and starter terminals....that should be obvious enough if it's burnt/corroded away.
                Should i be bridging from the starter to the tab on the solenoid with the small wire?

As above, looks to me like the braided cable between starter and solenoid is corroded away, it's brittle to touch. So looks like this is the culprit. Anyway so i began to try to undo the starter got the bottom bolt loose but the top one i have no idea how to get that out theres hardly any room

Ever get them days when you feel like selling up?!
                Attached Files
                1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Not sure about the s2 as my engine is a 7a but I seem to remember a selection of socket drive extensions and swan neck spanners will see you through. IIRC the oil filter/cooler mount is in the way for a straight run through onto the bolt head.

Nice to have a likely culprit though, for me; not knowing what has failed is worse than having to fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
                    Should i be bridging from the starter to the tab on the solenoid with the small wire?
                    Yes.

The braided wire should be able to be "played with" so to speak. If you move it around with your fingers and it disintegrates and bits start falling off it then it's goosed.
                    On the plus side if it is this then then it can be replaced ......or at least bodged up a bit......been there done that and it was still fine when I sold the car!

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                      Not sure about the s2 as my engine is a 7a but I seem to remember a selection of socket drive extensions and swan neck spanners will see you through. IIRC the oil filter/cooler mount is in the way for a straight run through onto the bolt head.

Nice to have a likely culprit though, for me; not knowing what has failed is worse than having to fix it!
                      Thanks Steve i will find something suitable hopefully. Know what you mean about fault finding. No matter how bad the job is, it's never as bad as not knowing what's wrong

Originally posted by John. View Post
                      Yes.

The braided wire should be able to be "played with" so to speak. If you move it around with your fingers and it disintegrates and bits start falling off it then it's goosed.
                      On the plus side if it is this then then it can be replaced ......or at least bodged up a bit......been there done that and it was still fine when I sold the car!
                      Thanks John, i will try bridging before i set about trying to get those blooming bolts out again.
                      I know exactly what you are saying about this braided wire. I think it's past the "played with" stage. I'm fairly sure bits started flaking off as i touched it so I'm fairly confident its goosed. Good to know it can be sorted when i eventually get it off

Thanks for all the help so far. Will post up my findings in due course so it helps others.
                      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

have had similar.

check earths are good.
                        check ignition switch there are two types. one is cheap other is not(immobiliser version late cars)
                        starter motor i got a brand new from ebay 60 quid.

i fitted an additional earth. as it got hot it would struugle. extra earth is the real winner for me

Comment

Good luck getting it sorted, Mike- Keilder meet is only a few weeks away (and I need LOADS of photos, maybe vids too?)

Comment

Had similar problems recently with a 7A coupe. Turns out that the wire to the starter had corroded. A bit of sandpaper and some protective grease and she was back on the road.

Comment

Is it possible to remove the starter without removing the oil filter?
                              Got the bolts out but despite twisting in every way I can think I see no way without removing the filter.
                              1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X