Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S2 starter motor or ignition switch failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pretty sure I removed the oil filter when I last did this
    Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Mike thought so it's tight down there
      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Actually easy enough to remove the starter when you eventually manage to find a long enough bar/socket combination to crack the top bolt free after removing the air box etc. The oil filter off certainly makes things easier too. Anyway I'm fairly confident of the issue as seen in this photo. Seems like this thick wire is corroded and actually split. Hoping to be able to get it repaired rather than replacing.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

I had the small cable sorted on the starter and tested on a bench and it works perfectly. Bolted back on and guess what...still nothing

So i bought a new ignition switch fitted but it seems to be the wrong type as the key doesnt turn. The old one doesnt look damaged from the outside but i'm going to try and source the correct one and hope it's that.

1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

All sorted. Turns out some numpty (me) put the switch wire back on the wrong terminal after fitting the starter

I didn't notice there are 2 spade connectors on the starter and obviously just attached the wire to the most accessible. On the plus side i've learned how to change my starter motor in the dark

Tomorrows job is to refit my steering wheel etc which i had off for no reason in the end
            1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Good work

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
                On the plus side i've learned how to change my starter motor in the dark
                Things they don't teach in school

Comment

Working...
                X