Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone running a K26/t04e turbo in their cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone running a K26/t04e turbo in their cars?

What is the performance like?

It depends if k26 is a #6 or #8 turbine and what trim the T04e compressor is.

looking at the maps, best for performances seems to me the combination T04e 50trim / K26 #8, good for 480-500 hp (at least cold side is capable of such an output, and given all the other hardware in the engine is upgraded to match it, of course).
    Slightly less power with the 57 trim (~450 hp) but probably with also less lag.

Marco

Comment

Yep,

I am running a Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo. This uses Turbonetics copy of a KKK #8 hot side housing and bolts straight up to the normal K26 flange. I'm using the T04E 57 trim compressor with a turbonetics stage 3 turbine, this is quite big at 63mm, but the hot side has been machined to take it, so it is not strictly a #8 anymore .
      A turbine that size would normally come with a bit of lag but I decided to go with the ceramic ball bearing option and the turbo makes 1 bar by 3K rpm and climbs rapidly from there on.

More info and pictures here:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=&threadid=307

Cheers,

Mark.
      Last edited by Mark Halligan; 2 November 2003, 19:22.
      Mark - Modded

Comment

Im thinking of running a K26/T04E with 46 trim at 22psi. Should be around 380-390hp. Its definitely capable for 400hp and over, but Im on stock rods. I was also thinking of getting the 57 trim thats a bit more laggy. I would run 24-25psi on the 57 because of the stock rods.

Comment

As long as you don't exceed maximum safe load on conrods you don't have any problems on them, so given @ 1.8 bar boost you have 520-530 Nm (that should be the safe limit for the conrods), from a theoretical point of view, you could run this boost or, better, this torque, up to redline without increasing mechanical load on them.
          But 530 Nm of torque @ 7000 rpm is ~ 530 Hp !!

Of course if you use a T04e 57 trim, capable of 2.2 bar boost (~32 PSI), and use it's full boost potential, your rods will not withstand the load. If instead you keep boost lets say @ ~ 1.7-1.8 as high as possible than falling to ~ 1.5-1.55 bar at 7000 rpm (57 trim max flow for our engine) you'll still get the 450 hp.

Marco

Comment

I forgot to mention this is for a UrS4, not an S2-RS2. It might be different torque and hp if your talking about the S2-RS2. Im confused. All I want is to get atleast 380-90HP out of that turbo and being safe with the stock rods. Ive heard that 400hp is the limit of the stock rods on the UrS4's. Your help is appreciated. Thanks

Comment

We are talking about "mechanical" forces over the conrods.

Problem with connecting rod's strenght isn't "power" but "torque".
              The fact is that with a 400 hp turbocharged engine using 100% of boost potential of its turbocharger, peak torque is likely to be in the 550-560 Nm, which is a very respectable torque.
              Instead a turbine providing lets say 500 hp on same engine, if used 100% of its boost potential is likely to make engine deliver 700 Nm of peak torque.
              But if you don't use that much boost and torque at mid-low rpm but use full FLOW potential of turbocharger @ high rpm, you may not have the max torque the turbo can deliver (thus protecting conrods) but will still get the 500 hp.

We discussed this some time ago in another thread:

Con-rods stresses thread

Marco

Comment

Does anyone know if MTM software will be ok if I run this turbo or will I need totally diff. software? I plan on doing the RS2 Intercooler,RS2 MAF,RS2 FPR, and RC 370CC Injectors. Is this a good setup for this turbo? What would you do? Thanks

Comment

@UrS4: AFAIK MTM have never done custom software for a garrett cold side turbo, and in my experience, using software for an RS2 turbo (the only software available in the US made by some "experts") on a Garrett cold side will make your engine ping like a churchbell, BTDT when I had no idea how these things worked!

HTH,

Mihnea
                  '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                  info@MRCTuning.com
                  Workshop Directions

Comment

Thanks Mihnea. A lot of people tell me you have the Software I would need to make this turbo work with the RS2 stuff? Are the RC 370CC Injectors better than the RS2 Injectors? Ive heard that RC makes good high flow injectors that are better than the RS2's.?
                    Last edited by UrS4; 4 November 2003, 19:38.

Comment

My advice is:

Get the RC 37lb/hr injectors, get the RS2 MAF if you absolutely want to throw 300 bucks like that, upgrade the fuel pressure regulator to 5 bar (the stock one, stock is 4), get a T04E 57 trim cold side with a #6 hot side and I'll do you software for that, about 390 HP are quite easy to get with that setup...

Cheers,

Mihnea
                      '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                      info@MRCTuning.com
                      Workshop Directions

Comment

So the RS2 MAF isnt really needed?

Comment

from what Mihnea has stated the stock MAF is good for 450hp.

Nothing quite like a truthful person...

Cheers to you Mihnea for being honest and not trying to rip people off.
                          I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

Thanks Josh. What 5 bar fuel pressure regulator should I get? I heard Bosch has one. Any Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4
                              What 5 bar fuel pressure regulator should I get? I heard Bosch has one. Any Ideas?
                              Bosch Motorsport FPR: B280 550 113

link

You can modify the standard FPR - basically stick an air line on the inlet and measure the outlet. In a vice or with a ball-joint-seperator squeeze the top of the FPR until you get an increase in pressure - a 4 bar might not measure 4 bar with air but an increase of X (standard to what you want) bar should do the trick.

Mihnea can probably explain this better

HTH
                              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Working...
                              X