Juddering wiper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juddering wiper

I just can't seem to get rid of an annoying problem with the drivers side windscreen wiper.

The damn thing judders on the up sweep. I've put new blades on, cleaned the glass until you can see your own reflection in it, put Rain-Ex on there, taken the arm spoiler off and on, and it still judders. It judders whilst stationary, and at speed. Even a recently replaced windcreen hasn't made any difference!

What's wrong? Is the spring tension in the arm set wrongly? Any clues?
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Mine judders, but thats because it doesnt keep in contact with the screen on the upsweep and is limited to the bottom part of the wiper. Think its time for some Passat wipers.
    Coupe

Comment

Hi there

I had this problem with an Alfa I used to have. If you watch the wiper blade as it moves up you will most likely notice that the rubber wiper bit has not "flopped" over, or at least some of it has not. This then causes it to hop up the screen. On the Alfa I has to twist the wiper arm ever so slighly until the blade flopped over all the way on the up and down stroke.

Not sure if it will work on the S2 as the build quality is somewhat different

This can also happen if you use cheaper blades.

Just my 2c
      Andre
      1995 RS2 Avant - Custom SS exhaust, Koni adjustables, Custom map, large grin ...

Comment

They're "Bosch" blades, got to get the quality...

Hmm.

Comment

Mine used to judder all the time.

I got the Passat/Lupo upgrade and now they are brilliant. No juddering, nearly silent, good clean sweep - even at speed. Its only £40ish - well worth it.
          ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

i have exactly the same problem..doing my head right in
            martyn, do you have a price for these passat/lupo jobbies for a coupe?
            thanks
            martin

Comment

I'd like these aero wipers too. Vagparts, any chance of a group buy if we can get a few people committed to sets. They are quite cheap so you might get to kit quite a few sets for people...hopefully making them even cheaper as it will be much less agro if you can do a big batch in one hit!

Lee
              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Good idea Lee! How bout it VAGparts?

Right also group buy for full RS2 front ARB kits?

I like this concept of getting things cheaper
                Coupe

Comment

:-) if we sell to the club any cheaper we will be paying you to take it!! NO< NO< NO, don't even think it!!! :nana:

You guys can have a group buy if you like on anything we do, but the group buy prices are HIGHER than what you guys pay, so YES :-) please do have a group buy with me!!!

The Avant aero's are a different price to the Coupe aero's, but Kenny is spot on, about £40 for the aero set. They work a treat!! and once fitted, you have to lift the bonnet, then fold the arms out to change the blades UNDER the bonnet they sit that low on the screen!

The juddering is the wrong tension on the arm. You canbend the arm a it more to add some pressure so the rubber 'folds' over, but to be honest the aeros are the nuts and look cool! or don't as the case may be as you cannot see them! :-))

Martyn
                  oh, I'll be trying the rear Avant aero arm this weekend, so I'll let you guys know if that one pans out or not. My rear wiper is utterly crap!
                  Martyn
                  -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I didn't even mention the rear wiper- that's even worse, it barely sweeps back across the screen sometimes, looks awful!

What's this "Aero" mod all about then?

Comment

Aero is just the term given to these new soft wipers thats all.. I'll report back on the Avant one over the weekend, not so sure what we'd do for the COupe rear end... the rear arm is big and Audi don't have anything in the current range that has a rear arm like the Coupe S2, unless anyone knows otherwise???

Martyn
                      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

What about the tourag or Sharan things. The people carriers must have long front wipers
                        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

So Martyn - Is there an officially approved 'Aero Wiper Kit' for RHD Coupes ?

What combination has Doug and the others been using ?

I'd like to go for this little mod - 'tis about the only thing I can afford and the wiperless look is mighty attractive, but I seem to recall there was some discussion about which wipers fit the Coupe best.

Paul
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Yup, there is Paul.

Dougal had two long blades and two shorties. Just waiting on birthday boy to let me know which was the best combo to use out of all of those blades?

Doug, have you 'finalised' which is best now?

RHD Avants now have a full set of front and rear aero blades available. See here for aero rear: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=1074
                            RHD Coupes have the fronts available, just waiting for a nod from Doug.

I also hoping someone can take a good picture of the rear Coupe arm for me to see, so I can see if I can find a rear for the Coupe. There probably will be one, just a case of finding it

Watch this space...

Martyn
                            Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

How's this?
                              Attached Files

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!