door lock issue (i.e. it's broken!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• door lock issue (i.e. it's broken!)

imagine my dismay, when trying to open the drivers door and the key turning with no resistance and the door not opening.

succeded in taking the interior door panel off (thanks to the post on this site) without breaking anything, and found this.

i am guessing that the bit in the left hand picture should be attached to the end of the barrel in the right hand picture.

how much of this needs replacing, and any how too's on this site?
    Attached Files
    '92 S2 - Bent now

I've never seen this type of failure on a door lock before.

Could someone have forced it in an attempt to break in (I hope not). Maybe just plain old metal fatigue playing its part.

The good news is that I think this part is available as a spare. What year/model is your car? Whoops just spotted your signature, I think you want 893 837 288 D for the drivers side.

Perhaps one of the parts gurus can verify I've got this right?
    Last edited by Nuvo; 9 October 2006, 19:54.

Comment

it is a 1992 S2 coupe, thanks Nuvo
      '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

snap ive had the same thing on the 90 go the cog type thing,i just swopped it over from a old lock i had its for the alarm i think.i just dont have the oem one workin.
        1990 100 2.2 10vqt 82k miles(now dead)
        1990 90 2.3 20v 166k miles
        1988 90 2.0 10v 181k miles
        oh and a polo for work.

Comment

so maybe salvage what i need from a donor lock mechniasm then?
          how hard is it to get the handle of the car?
          didn't look good when i had the door card off
          '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

I had the same problem on the boot lock on my cq20v. The metal part just snapped. I had to climb into the boot to get the thing open.
            SS

Comment

dead easy ive done a write up for audi owners club.i changed all the door handles over and fixed this at the same time.i will see if i can find it.
              oh and a polo for work.

Comment

thanks audi 90, that would be much appreciated
                '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

This happened to my drivers door too, just changed that little part, IIRC it comes off with a circlip. I used one off a scrap lock. the handle comes off the door by rotating a little lever inside which runs around the barrel, have a look you'll see.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

cant find it but if ya at cc on sat can do it in 10mins become a bit of a master at doors after having mine off 4 times lol
                    oh and a polo for work.

Comment

Door locks

I have had this on both doors of one of my coupes and on the driver's door of another
                      one. I have repaired many others too. The replacement piece will be a stamped piece with a plastic gear molded on instead of the original pot metal one. Replacement will require a new lock cylnder as the fittment is different on the end of the new piece. Just swap your old lock cylinder pieces into your new lock cylinder. Or, use a small jewlers file to fit the new piece to the old lock cylinder (10 to 15 minites worth of work). Also, when installing, be certain to align the gear and mechanism.
                      "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Gents:

Chaulk this up to another poor decision by the engineers ( or accountants) to use pot metal for the lever arm. The replacement part from audi is stamped steel. I have had to replace this part on both Type 89s AND type 44s.

The replacement "kit" comes with a new lock cylinder, circlip and lever arm. You must remove lock tumblers from your existing lock and insert them into the replacement cylinder.

Its not a difficult job, but you need to take your time ...
                        there are detailed instructions at www.20v.org.

<guess who authored them ;->

http://www.20v.org/doorroof.htm#lock
                        Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
                        1991 Coupe Quattro
                        1991 Coupe Quattro
                        1995 S6 Sedan
                        1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

PeterS, you are the man! I have this on my 3b coupe. I know this is an old old thread but that guide deserves to be in the How-to section!
                          S2 sold.

Comment

Working...
                          X