No announcement yet.

9 years of ownership and still one problem i can't fix.... HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too have wind noise, on my passenger door. I too have been down all these paths with little or no success. I am starting to think that where I think I hear the noise is not where the noise is being generated. Just a thought.
    1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
    2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
    2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Such a shame Audi didn design the window regulators like most of the cars with frame less Windows, so they go down slightly when you press on door handle and then they go back up after you shut the door .

Comment

Well, undoubtedly i'm going to tempt fate with this, but it appears i've had some success.

Ok, so basically i sprayed the door seal right in the area where it seals against the triangle with silicone spray too see what kind of sealing coverage i was getting. Unfortunately i was in the process of updating my phone so didn't get a pic of the initial mark it left on the door card and triangle. However it was clear to see where the problem area was. After a simple mod using fairly stiff foam that my turbo from Turbo Techincs was packed in, i took some pics.

Steps in tasks-

1. I removed the spikey rubber material and hard plastic insert from the door seal and cut a shape from the stiff foam using the hard plastic as a template. I would say the thickness of the foam was around 5mm. Now then, i have done this previously using different material but it did not work, the stiff foam seems to be a definite improvement though.

2. Fitted the foam first into the door seal, then the spikey rubber material and lastly the plastic insert. Door seal refitted, another spray of silicone spray (halfords special) and shut the door. On opening the door it was clear to see that the foam had improved the area that was previously not making contact.

3. Test run conducted and straight away the wind noise level was greatly reduced in a cross wind, but driving in to the wind there is now a noise Aaargh! Back to the garage for another look.

4. I noticed that the plastic seal that's located at the front of the door card under the triangle was not a very good fit on the front edge where it folds round the door card. ( these were purchased from Audi Tradition, not original ones) With the door shut the door seal doesn't really apply pressure to this area and there was a slight gap visible. I cut another small section of foam from the leftovers, again around 5mm thick and slotted in behind the plastic seal.

5. The upper edge of the triangle has a small step in it where it has deformed slightly over the year, with the door shut it looked like the door seal wasn't pressing evenly on this area so inserted a match into the seal directly above the raised part. This helped apply more pressure on to this area. Not ideal using a match but just trying to figure out what improves the wind noise.

6. Another test run and pleased to report another reduction in wind noise. It's pretty dam windy up this neck of the woods today so perfect conditions for gaining an idea if the door seal is sealing correctly.

7. Pleased with how things have gone this morning, car is now parked up for the day. Had enough of this seal over the last few days and years infact, think i'll plan a night out!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

Ok, night out planned, took the S2 for a quick spin to buy a carry out and give it a longer test run. No wind noise head on, ever so slight noise from a cross wind. Compared to what it was like it's a vast improvement. Still not silent like the passenger side but given how windy it is here today i would say it's pretty dam good. Also my stereo is currently not fitted so every wee noise is more pronounced. I would say it's 9 out of 10. My OCD would like to get it completely silent but it's a 27 year old car, can't expect a second hand worn seal to be perfect. Perhaps i'll revist it but i'm sure a more pressing issue will arise before then.

Like the reason i'm getting a grumbling at low speed after fitting a new prop bearing assembly, hmmmmm??? For another day, time for JD & coke.

Later dudes!!

Comment

Well done! I'm sure this success will inspire others to have a go!

Comment

Working...
            X