How I ended up wet in a car wash - small plastic guide wheel in window mech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I ended up wet in a car wash - small plastic guide wheel in window mech

So my driver's window has been playing up for a week and sounded a bit "grindy". Once it didn't go all the way up, but I helped it with one hand while pushing the window button with the other. I knew I had to investigate it but it didn't seem like an emergency.
    I'm working 400km from home right now so I don't have access to all my stuff, and washing your car by the side of the road is illegal in Finland, so I took it to a car wash yesterday afternoon. I put the window down, entered the code, put the window up again.... and didn't notice the 5mm gap at the top. I sure did when the water started pouring through it though! . Thankfully I was able to pull the car forward, jump out and hit the emergency stop button. The car wasn't too bad. thankfully I have leather seats so I drove home (3km to my flat, not 400km to my house) with a wet *** and dried the seat and door off.

So I took the door card off to investigate. Seems the top, rear plastic guide wheel thing has broken into 3 pieces. So the cable is now running over the metal pin and ultimately the whole window isn't getting pulled up to where it should be. The question is... can I get a new plastic wheel and how the holy fukeroonie do I get it onto the metal pin? And also, was it just the plastic wheel that failed or is it likely something else caused additional tension in the cable to snap the wheel?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

The steel button that holds the plastic wheel is riveted in. Would need something cleverly made to replace it I think. Or you’re looking for a new window mech.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

damn, that's what I feared. Thanks for confirming this. the frame/mech/motor is the same on both B3 and B4 right?
      1990 CQ20v

Comment

I reckon so
        Someone is breaking a coupe in the Parts for sale forum.
        I was thinking, all else failing, maybe you could grind the end off the button and drill a hole, tap it, say M5, slip a pulley on and bolt on a washer to hold it in place.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I have a spare regulator, left hand side, I’ll have a proper look later.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I like your thinking
            Grinding, tapping etc may be doable. Just a fekker that I'm 400km from home (and my garage/tools) monday to friday. doh!
            If you have a spare let me know. that could make my life easier for sure. I'll hunt to see if I can find one that doesn't cost silly money in Finland too
            1990 CQ20v

Comment

Frame and mech is different between b3 and b4.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69
                Frame and mech is different between b3 and b4.
                Ah, didn’t know that.
                The one I have is UK passenger side and came from an ABY

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

thanks for clearing that up. but damn. that would have been bloody handy. I'm trying to remember if I ever tried to swap a later frame to an earlier car way back when I happily butchered coupes
                  I'm getting old and forgetful though
                  1990 CQ20v

Comment

Yeah, somewhere along the line my B3 got B4 doors (it must have a chequered past...) when getting B3 frames none of them would fit, the difference mainly is around the top corner on the lock side of the door -it just doesn't fit up.

The motor is also *slightly* different, though how I don't remember.

Comment

Oh, the glass is different too!

Comment

damn! Well that cements the need to find a B3 frame then eh? I found someone breaking a track B3 in Finland and sent a message yesterday. I just hope the original frame is there for me to buy. fingers crossed.
                        1990 CQ20v

Comment

Working...
                        X