Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunroof woes

hi all

been away for a while and the RS2 is still in the garage, decided to wheel it out only to find the sunroof seems to be seized, I removed the headlining and sunroof cassette, the motor was jammed but I had a spare, motor replaced but still will not move from the shut posistion, anyone have this problem before (metal sunroof by the way), or is it find a second hand unit and fit that ? (does the S2 avant sunroof fit) All help greatly appreciated.

Have you tried winding it manually with the tool that should be in the housing? Mine was very stiff and bent the tool!
    I then removed the tracking and re greased it but you have to wind it all the way back to get to the tracking.
    S2 Avant and RS2 sunroof is identical as far as I know.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Hi Dave

Tried that (with motor out) but was worried I would break something inside the gearbox, Is there anyother way to get into the mechanism ?

Comment

If its not been open for a long time, the seal has probably swollen slightly and stuck to the roof. Try spraying some warm washing up liquid solution all around and work it into the seal with a car wash brush. If you can find something thin to fit the gap that wont scratch the paint you could slowly work that in to make sure its not stuck. Something like a plastic cake slice?
        Then try again from the inside with the tool. Mine was very stiff.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Hi Dave

I have the complete cassette out of the car so not the seal, I thought once it was out I would have access to allow me to move it, but I can't see any way other than forcing it with the supplied key, still worried I will do damage.

Comment

Well, if it's out of the car, saturate everything in wd40 and leave it to soak overnight whilst you recover with a beer
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

That's the best suggestion of the night

Comment

Take the motor off, then you can get to the cables and manually push the roof backwards and remove the cables.

Comment

If the cables have rusted in the channels it might just be easier to find another usable cassette. BTDT. Spent hours cleaning/greasing and the mechanism was still very slow to operate. Bought a replacement and wished I hadn't wasted loads of time and materials.
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Hi all

got the dam roof to move, removed the roof to find the cables were very dry and covered in like string (see photo) also I’m a bit confused there is a plastic part that slides, at the very back of the roof and it doesn’t seem to be connected, any ideas.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Sorry, forgot to post the photo of the string
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I think the string is there to hold the grease.

The plastic piece is the drip tray, it sits beneath the edge of the moving panel when it’s closed and channels water to the sides from where it can reach the drains. It’s clipped to the moving part of the roof with the two pieces seen in your pic.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, I've removed the loose string and left the rest in place, re the drip tray, I have tried to clip in on but every time I move the roof it pops off, I could use a cable tie to secure it and at least it would do the job it's supposed to, now cleaned and moving I need a roof seal and I am pretty sure the motor is shot, any ideas where to look for these parts, many thanks for all the help so far.

Comment

There are a few on ebay or search Audi 80 avant breaking on ebay.
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                              X