Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe sunroof drain tubes access

Alright gents,

Whilst my dash is out I've discovered water ingress that I wasn't aware off. Basically both my front sunroof drain tubes are leaking and dripping water into the car. Strangely both drains are clear so find it strange that they are leaking. I did however replace the sunroof a few years back and the tubes from what I remember were in good condition, but perhaps disturbing them has damaged them without me realising.

I can't remember how easy they are to access, is it a headliner out job?

Cheers
    Gordon

Have you still got your drip tray correctly installed? Failing that, the track runner and screws are sealed. Have they been removed at all?
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
      Have you still got your drip tray correctly installed? Failing that, the track runner and screws are sealed. Have they been removed at all?
      I can't remember the exact configuration of everything now Dave, I'm pretty sure it was all put back together correctly though. The first I noticed was when I seen drips of water dripping from the windscreen pillar trim, I pulled it back to inspect and could see the water drops dripping from the headliner directly below where the sunroof drain tubes are.

Possibly they have gone brittle with age but without inspection it's hard to say. Both going brittle and splitting at the same time seems a bit suspect but possible I guess. The headliner is not stained in the area where the drips were so must be a recent thing.

Comment

I’ve had the same problem , however mine turned out to be a poorly sealed windscreen

Comment

I was thinking it might have something to do with the windscreen too as that was changed a couple of years back, however I had the hose on the top corner of the windscreen and no leaks, as soon as I pour a wee bit of water down the sunroof drains you can see it coming through inside and running down the pillar trim. Do you know if I can access the front drains with just removing the pillar trim?

Comment

Originally posted by gmac78 View Post
            Do you know if I can access the front drains with just removing the pillar trim?
            Yes you should be able to. The sunroof has 4 metal pipes protruding from the 4 corners, then there are hoses that push onto them which go through a hole in the pillars and run downwards, there’s only a few inches of hose visible but you can see the join, maybe the hose has come disconnected?
            You can run a piece of electrical flex or similar down the drain to make sure it’s not blocked, I think I used a bit of single core actually, it should appear in the wheel arch, behind the liner.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post

Yes you should be able to. The sunroof has 4 metal pipes protruding from the 4 corners, then there are hoses that push onto them which go through a hole in the pillars and run downwards, there’s only a few inches of hose visible but you can see the join, maybe the hose has come disconnected?
              You can run a piece of electrical flex or similar down the drain to make sure it’s not blocked, I think I used a bit of single core actually, it should appear in the wheel arch, behind the liner.
              Ok cool, I'll remove the trims tomorrow to see if they reveal where the leak is coming from. The drains aren't blocked, I checked them today as well as boroscoping down the holes and it looks like the hoses are connected ok, so I find it strange for both sides to be leaking in the same manner! See what tomorrow brings!!

Comment

I had a nosey in behind the passenger pillar trim today and strangely the drain does not appear to be leaking, however I did notice water gathers under the springy section that pops up when the sunroof is opened, forward of the two tracks. It must be finding it's way down on to the headliner from this area?

However, when the sunroof is shut I don't see how the water would gather in this area in the first place, as any water passing past the sunroof seal would drip into the tray?? I'll need to wait to dry it all out then go at it with the hose.

I purchased the sunroof second hand so not sure if the track was ever removed. What kind of seal is under the track? How are the wee screws sealed? Didn't get a proper chance for an inspection today.

Cheers

Comment

Roll the sunroof all the way back and remove the small screws holding down the silver metal track runner. Each screw is sealed and when you lift the strip up it should also be sealed. I used tiger seal on mine after removing the track top. When it's off you can see into the car roofliner and then you realise how important the sealant is. Lubricate the cord inside with white rubber grease while you are there.
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Roll the sunroof all the way back and remove the small screws holding down the silver metal track runner. Each screw is sealed and when you lift the strip up it should also be sealed. I used tiger seal on mine after removing the track top. When it's off you can see into the car roofliner and then you realise how important the sealant is. Lubricate the cord inside with white rubber grease while you are there.
                    Ah right ok, hopefully a nice easy fix then. Cheers pal.

Comment

It's all in my Nothelle thread somewhere
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Exactly as tractor dave says - been there and done that on mine as well. The shape of the sunroof tray is such that it can fill with water or slosh about to a certain degree without it getting into the car but, that ability is lost if the sealant is bad - it lowers the 'overflow level' and gets through the two layers.

I had water appearing from under the trim around the grab handle, it either came out there or ran down A pillar.

The leakiest car ever? Probably
                        ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                        X