X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
    This is my area of expertise.
    Stay away from any Hammerite products.

Undercoat/primer should be POR15. frosts sell it.
    Then 3M bodysealer, comes in a bag, two part epoxy product, very similar to the OE Audi seam sealer. This can be painted body colour as Audis are originally. Then Dinitrol 3125 followed by Dinitrol 4941.
    I am in the restoration business and have seen and used this method for many years. it lasts for ever!
    why do you say this.. just wondering as ive used it on a few things and well always found it to be ok.

Comment

That translated: the waxoil cheapo goo I had applied has now washed off with the first rain shower. Underseal has now trapped water behind it and is now rotting away nicley!

Waxoyl is bobbins and as for underseal, when was the last non rusty MG you saw?
      Old rubbish.
      Get it off and get some proper gear on it! especially as its a UR, good rotters!

HTH
      Ohhherr both has been professionally applied inside and out .....there is no rust on my baby

Comment

Originally posted by pixsaudisex2 View Post
        why do you say this.. just wondering as ive used it on a few things and well always found it to be ok.
        How much does it cost? next to nothing, As always you get what you pay for.
        It seems ok on virgin metals,ie never had any rust. but i have found it not wanting to stick blasted steel, you would think it would love the rough surface. It chips very easily.
        all Hammerite products are single part, no hardeners to mix in, so they are solvent based, solvent evaporates as its just a carrier for the paint/stone chip. it never stops evaporating, paint becomes dull as it dries, becomes brittle.
        Would you have your Audi repainted in cellulose paint? no not if you have any love for your car. why use the same type of products under the car? After all its going to get a world of shiit thrown at it!

Trust me i have used and seen most underbody coatings in my 18 years in sports car restorations. I never want to do the same job twice, even if is twenty years between!
        Rob..
        94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
        87 UR 20v ABY
        97 S6 Avant
        96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
        1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Rob,
          I have been trying to find out more about the stuff you said to use...
          Frosts site does list the POR15 and also the Dinitrol...
          presumably all of the above is either spray or brush applied, especially the Dinitrol, as I see it comes in 1 litre cans, the POR15 I am sure is ok to brush on right?
          The bit I can't find out is the 3M bodysealer stuff, or details about the gun required for it... reason is, I am in Romania and as such have no 3M stockist to ask, and am really struggling to find it by either name or part number online... Ineed to order online and have stuff sent out in my next emergency UK ration parcel....
          Any pointers to a stockist or general info greatfully received....
          Cheers
          Chris
          Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
          S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
          '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Would you have your Audi repainted in cellulose paint? no not if you have any love for your car. why use the same type of products under the car? After all its going to get a world of shiit thrown at it!

Trust me i have used and seen most underbody coatings in my 18 years in sports car restorations. I never want to do the same job twice, even if is twenty years between!
            Hmmmmmm mine has just been done in 2 pac celly.............water based paints cannot match my color and wouldnt mix either with my original paint work!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by amanda View Post
              Hmmmmmm mine has just been done in 2 pac celly.............water based paints cannot match my color and wouldnt mix either with my original paint work!!!!!!!!!
              Amanda,
              I hope you mean you have just had a repaint in two pack? cellulose is single pack old school, both are very different products.
              No painter i know of uses celly, the harmfull vapours where long since removed from celly making it useless.

Strange no water based would work with your colour, is your pearl white? if so might explain.
              After 31/12/07 no more 2k (two pack) base coat, I hope you have some stored!

I have just bought twenty litres of laquer, having tried the new High solids "complient" laquers. The new stuff is rubbish! its like spraying poridge! Just awefull!
              Is so thick no matter what you do its a crap finish! Twenty litres of the good stuff should see me through to them sorting out the new slime!

Chris, I will post up a place that mails out the sealer.

Regards all,
              Rob..
              87 UR 20v ABY
              97 S6 Avant

Comment

Try here:

http://www.consumablesexpress.co.uk/...g/Sealers.html
                Rob..
                87 UR 20v ABY
                97 S6 Avant

Comment

Amanda,
                  I hope you mean you have just had a repaint in two pack?
                  Strange no water based would work with your colour, is your pearl white? if so might explain.
                  After 31/12/07 no more 2k (two pack) base coat, I hope you have some stored!

I have just bought twenty litres of laquer, having tried the new High solids "complient" laquers. The new stuff is rubbish! its like spraying poridge! Just awefull!
                  Is so thick no matter what you do its a crap finish! Twenty litres of the good stuff should see me through to them sorting out the new slime!

Chris, I will post up a place that mails out the sealer.

Regards all,
                  Yes 2 pac and yes have some stored with laqur and again you are correct mine is pearle. Fyi 2 pac is available freely in the eu but not the uk.........we are being shafted again!!!!!!!

Comment

This is my area of expertise.
                    so all Hammerite products are crud as far as your concerned, but then you have probably been in the business longer than them to know, if you do your homework properly you will find that VW were coating the golfs in the early 80's with wax oil (Hammerite) and they are still around today to tell the tale

Comment

Originally posted by fivepotnoodle View Post
                      so all Hammerite products are crud as far as your concerned, but then you have probably been in the business longer than them to know, if you do your homework properly you will find that VW were coating the golfs in the early 80's with wax oil (Hammerite) and they are still around today to tell the tale
                      Yes after they have all have had a pair of sills,door bottoms,rear arches, and front panels. They do not still use it, I wonder why?

My findings are from hands on experience, I have used their products and seen the results. Nothing personal about it, WHy use it when there are other options?
                      Rob..
                      87 UR 20v ABY
                      97 S6 Avant

Comment

I can see how Rob is right, and I'm not going to argue with his experience here.
                        I too have found that Hammerite only seems to stick to smooth metal, it chips off metal you'd expect it to key with. I painted my subframes with it, but they were in pretty good shape anyway.

It's also true that waxoyl has been around a long time, which doesn't make it the best product out there, just one of the best known. I don't like the idea of using it on the S2 TBH, that's why I asked for other options.

Some POR15 is on its way, so I'll see how I get on with that.
                        SS

Comment

I've been slowly attacking the inner sections of our Ur, cleaning it right back and degreasing it, followed by POR 15

The wire and nylon brushes are just about worn out and I've used 1 tin of the stuff for the 4 arches and the sill sections. This is not the first time I've done it (but we've owned the car over 12 years). POR 15's amazing and evil stuff, it goes on like any ordinary paint, almost too ordinary really, but when it dries, it's like a rubberised, flexible concrete... And it penetrates, (even through my gloves )

I have to say though, I do use Waxoil too.

There's no point sitting there looking at a rusty car with a half full tin of any kind of rust treatment sat in the garage. If you've bought it, it needs to be on the car.
                          85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
                            There's no point sitting there looking at a rusty car with a half full tin of any kind of rust treatment sat in the garage. If you've bought it, it needs to be on the car.
                            Do someone knows where I can get this stuff internationally? As far I understand nor the Frosts, nor the guy in US Ebay are not shipping to LT (E.U.)

I badly need this stuff for my rusty 200 (i've probably have the most rusty 220v on the planet ). If it will survive there in our salty winters, then I'll pour whole my coupe in that thing

Sau
                            200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
                            CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

This is the international European stockist shown on the POR 15 website

POR-15 GMBH
                              49-30-49 77 12 25
                              http://www.hoeseler-por15.com/
                              85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
                                This is the international European stockist shown on the POR 15 website

POR-15 GMBH
                                49-30-49 77 12 25
                                http://www.hoeseler-por15.com/
                                Not sure, that they can find my country in the map. But thanks - I would try to write them a letter!

Sau
                                200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
                                CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X