No announcement yet.

Bonnet vents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only downside is, no matter which you chose, they will look 100% Max Power as the rest of the car is standard.
    Unless bonnet vents come as standard, or its a stripped out racing car, they look abit crap.

If you REALLY want some, Id personally go to Cool Louvres, atleast they look somewhat stealth

Comment

Yeah but it will be stripped out so I'll be fine
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
        The only problems are that the vents are direclt over the top of all those connectors at the rear of the engine bay so they would need protecting and the fact that I'd ahve to cut them out somehow...
        vents where you want to make them will suck air and not vent! they should be made in front of the bonnet..

you can read this to get better idea: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100489
        Xtra Racing

Comment

If you look at the rough pic I've done they're all at the back of the bonnet and so will suck away. The longer vent will stop above the turbo but as I've not measured it up I've not idea where that is exactly.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
            Yeah but it will be stripped out so I'll be fine
            I thought you said you had put it all back in?

Comment

sorry for the late reply andy, i've just been busy swapping in/out interiors, and going out for rides in ur quattro's.

If you want them you can have them call it a get well soon present

Comment

Oh and I "might" be able to get a spare bonnet but will have to see about that.

Comment

Originally posted by nervas View Post
                  vents where you want to make them will suck air and not vent! they should be made in front of the bonnet..

you can read this to get better idea: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100489
                  Thanks for that, it ties in with my thoughts and means I'm on the right track.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by dest View Post
                    I thought you said you had put it all back in?
                    I have... for now. I've still not decided which way to go but the weight savings from stripping everything out to just removing the obvious bits was quite small so for now it'll stay with an interior, at least until I get a garage or somewhere secure to park it rather than the carpark out front.

This little project should cost well under 100 notes and it'll give me something to do and should be quite interesting to see how it looks.

Bonnet 30 quid
                    Mesh 20 quid
                    Paint 10 quid
                    filler, sandpaper 10 quid
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post

sorry for the late reply andy, i've just been busy swapping in/out interiors, and going out for rides in ur quattro's.

If you want them you can have them call it a get well soon present
                      Cheers Peter thats kind'a'ya but they're a bit small for my plans :mischeif:
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

not too sure i see the point of this if neither your oil or water are getting hot, remember the hotter your engine the more efficient it is, only reason it sits at 90 is because water pressure skyrokets after this temp. i suppose you may drop a degree or so if you can cool down the intake pipes ect....otherwise this just seems like more drag and extra wight?!?! assuming your doing this to test performance gains and not just to look good, and by the way, think it could look cool, wanted a sprinter wing vent till i worked out it wctually reduces power lol.
                        just to add also you need to think about disturbing the air flow thats already in effect, the air passes in the front and goes down under the car, if you make the air get sucked out the bonnet you may actually hinder the air flow, esspecially through the radiator....common for this to happen on mr2s.

good luck with it all tho! just make sure its done right

Ant
                        91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
                        KW V2s and other goodies
                        now gone
                        03' BMW 330CI - Sold
                        08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
                        57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

A mate of mine raised the rear of the bonnet on a mk2 golf track car to help get rid of the hot air. Not sure if he used spacers of some sort or just adjusted the bonnet so it was badly fitting.
                          1990 Cq20v GTi Engineering RE2400
                          1992 16v 80 quattro
                          2004 A3

Comment

On track oil temp hits 130 - 135 and water sits at 90-95. This is more of an exercise than anything else, see if it does make a difference or not, could be a waste of time.

The vents on the rad side will only be after the rad and on the turbo side they'll hopefully allow the whole area to cool a little.

Aerodynamic changes should be minimal really as I'm only looking at a small area. I've already lost the undertray (literally it fell off) so that will affect aerodynamics and all the radiator cowlings have gone as they were shot and I've not noticed any difference, sure if I lived in Dubai then it might be an issues, as with losing the auxilary rad. but I'm happy to have a play.

Why would a vent lose you power? Does it reduce pressure in front of the airbox? I was thinking that a hole in the inner wing would be the best soltion with a 90deg pipe to feed the airbox but there might not be room. Might have a looksee.

And yes, this really is more for looks than anything else, if it doesn't work then I've got the original bonnet nice and safe to put back on so no loss really, I've spent more than 70 quid getting wrecked before so to have a bonnet at the end of it all rather than a hangover is a winner

Spacing the bonnet can be done on some cars but as the grille on the S2 is all part of the bonnet it might not wok and I'm not sure if the m,ounting brackets would have to be modified in a different way to a golf as they bolt in from the side and not underneath. All doable and might achieve the same effects for less money. If I did this then I'd have to reinstate some of the rad cowling to help keep a good pressure differential.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

How about this for another angle of attack, simple to do, can keep your good bonnet on, and is a simple bolt on mod.
                              It is also proven to work, as loads of people in the Ford RS world do it, and all get lower temps.

All you need is 2 alloy raising blocks, which you fit using the normal bolts that hold the bonnet to the hinges.

Good thread here discussing them and how it works:
                              http://passionford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200415

Comment

Yeah, just discussed that above. I think that the bonnet fixings are side mounted rather than underside mounted so would require an offset machined piece with a second set of bolts. Not too difficult if I was at work but I'm not at the mo. And as I mentioned above, not sure how the grille would sit either, again, this can be sorted but it's more work. I'll more than likely try both methods as and when time, funds and health allows.

Like the bonnet pins holding the bumper on, I might have to go that way
                                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                                X