Bonnet vents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet vents

This is not one for Fatty or Jas, team bodge lives on! Been watching old rally DVDs and just got thinking about bonnet vents again, they've been discussed on various threads over the years but I've never seen the results if any exist.

I'm considerring getting a cheap bonnet, spraying it satin black to give that rally look and cutting some well placed holes in it to encourage venting of hot gas from the turbo and rear of the radiator, not too sure what the best way of doing this would be, whether to get some chav mesh and just cut 2 holes and attempt to round the corners off and then stick the mesh behind or get some Ford style bolt in vents. A combination of the two would be best with some flush mounted vents but my bodywork skills are limited so needs to be simple to achive and cheap with it. If the black looks crap then I'll get osme colour matched paint to sort it out properly but this is for track use rather than concours.

If anyone's got a bonnet going begging then please let me know, needs to be local, condition is unimportant, needs to be cheap It's going to get cut afterall

God, I've got too much time on my hands haven't I
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

I've got a pair of the subaru bonnet vents plus surrounds, small one's from the front of the bonnet if your interested?

Comment

NACA
      Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
      England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

also think i have one of them vents brys linked in lying around as well.

Comment

Looking to allow gas out rather than get it into the bonnet. A NACA duct could be linked into the airbox but it'd be beyond my bodywork skills I think.

Got a pic of the scooby ones? rear one is a no-no but not sure what the front vents look like.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

A search of fleabay hasn't shown up anything good enough...

But Albert's beast provides inspiration:-

And someone else :-

Here's an incredibly rough sketch of my thoughts:-
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Rusty; 12 July 2008, 23:16.
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Demon Tweeks NACA style duct
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

http://www.coollouvres.com/newframes.htm

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

http://www.ca-automotive.co.uk/singl...pZD0yNDA3.html

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Only one way to go for vents to an audi:
                    Now quattro less, my urs4 stolen 13.8

Comment

this would be my inspiration bonnetwise.....

sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

snap.....totally agree
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

After a hard run you could clearly see the heat rising from the vents on my Cossie.
                          How much difference they make Ive got no idea, but the early 2wd Saph's didnt have them....

Have you ever found your car to be running really hot or over heating?
                          If not, I really dont think you need them personally, and if it IS, then its not due to having no vents!!

Comment

Nah, not doing it because the car overheats but with a single rad it does get hot and extra cooling will not do it any harm at all, plus it'll look

Nice link Newsh, shame they're 2 hours away in Hampshire, be interesting if 'someone local' went and had their car done there, perhaps if it was 'white' I might get a better idea of how it would look

The NACA duct is a nice piece of kit but I'm not convinced that I could fit it into bonnet or that it would have enough space to feed the airbox properly. The area at teh front is very curved and this would not lend itself to having a flat vent fitted. If it was all metal and sculpted in there then it would look great but that'll be expensive!

Sport quattro vent over the airbox and up the side would look ace

I had a bit of a think last night and remembered the group B triangles and it gave me an idea. The only problems are that the vents are direclt over the top of all those connectors at the rear of the engine bay so they would need protecting and the fact that I'd ahve to cut them out somehow...
                            Attached Files
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                              this would be my inspiration bonnetwise.....

Would it also be you inpsiration for more lightage
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                              X