Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet Catch, Help Please

Hello
    Can anyone help please? I have a '91 3B Coupe. The bonnet release mechanism seems to have jammed. When the interior leaver is pulled, it travels all the way, but bonnet will not release. It seems to be retained on off side. Has anyone any suggestions for accessing this cath, behind the off side headlamp. Please bear in mind that I cannot remove lamp (no access to top srews - under bonnet!) I have tried to access from below, by removing just undertray, but unsuccessful. I need to access uregently as there is problem with cooling system, so need to top up and sort out.
    Thanks

Ian
    '91 3B Coupe

I have had mine stick - You need to get something that is long enough to stick up and will loop over the cable and then you can pull down on it to open it. If you have broken the cable though - this might not work.

I'm not even sure if you break the grill - if you could get a hand to it becasue of the aux rad. (I have a spare grill BTW)
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

This has happened to me also, i tightened one of the bolts too much and it stuck on one side..

me being a noob (newbie with no mechanical knoledge) i went to my dealer and pulled some strings (called in favours).. then the sales guy went outside with a huge crow bar as i sat in waiting room ****ting myself thinking he will breake it..

Just as my keks filled to the rimm he came back and it was all sorted... he just forced it i guess... worked a treat.
      ABY Coupe
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Doug
        I will try with some welding rod from the front.
        Won't be until tonight though.

Ian
        '91 3B Coupe

Comment

Have a look where the cable attatches to the handle in the footwell.
          it may have slipped through the clip which holds it so the interlal wire isnt getting pulled out.

martin

Comment

Thanks Guys
            I will look at footwell, try to hook cable and maybe crowbar in that order!

Ian
            '91 3B Coupe

Comment

If you don't have any joy getting it open with the suggestions so far, give me a shout back. There's another simple way of doing it with a screwdriver from the front of the car. I'm not sure it's such a good idea to post the method here, just in case there's a flood of S2's having bits stolen out of the engine bay!
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Here is another way:
                One day you may go to open your hood, only to feel a snap in the lever, then no resistance and no open hood. Your release cable has snapped. You can still get the hood open. Over each headlight you will be able to see the latching posts. Use a long flat head screwdriver to push the latches to release them. Be careful not to crack your headlights while forcing the latches. You can also use a bent coat hanger to grab the latches and release them. Note that to release each side you push/pull towards the center of the car
                Graham
                Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH
                  There's another simple way of doing it with a screwdriver from the front of the car. I'm not sure it's such a good idea to post the method here, just in case there's a flood of S2's having bits stolen out of the engine bay!
                  My coupe was broken into in 1997 and they stole the alarm! It was behind the grille. Lots of other items went as well. They were not after the car. Obvioulsy crap thieves, they tried to break into the car using the neighbours washing line and a screwdriver!

Back on thread ( unusual for me!) the cable pulls the two levers together so the levers need to be moved towards the middle of the car to release the bonnet.

My cable broke as described by Graham. Now a stainless Steel wire.

HTH

David

Comment

Hi guys

Success, Thanks for all your help. It was the footwell "bracket" (or rather lack of!) which was the problem.
                    Strangley, there does not seem to be any bracket / clip onto which the outer cable locates, in order to facilitate the seperate movement of the inner cable. I don't know how long it has been like this, as I do not do my own maintenance. I shall try and look on EKTA to see what should be there, then bend the ear of my local carriage who have been working on the car.

Thanks again everyone .
                    C-YA

Ian
                    '91 3B Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by ianmt
                      Hi guys

Success, Thanks for all your help. It was the footwell "bracket" (or rather lack of!) which was the problem.
                      Strangley, there does not seem to be any bracket / clip onto which the outer cable locates, in order to facilitate the seperate movement of the inner cable. I don't know how long it has been like this, as I do not do my own maintenance. I shall try and look on EKTA to see what should be there, then bend the ear of my local carriage who have been working on the car.

Thanks again everyone .
                      C-YA

Ian
                      Ian the 't' shaped handle is on a bracket, the bracket is fixed to the car by two long screws ( about 40mm) there is nowhere obvious to fix the bracket to. Have a look and you will see two holes which line up with the bracket holes.

I know because I have done it!

HTH

David

Comment

Working...
                      X